Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VMMan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 29, 2009
I’ve never used Plasti Dip, but I often see cars on the road that look like they’ve been almost entirely coated with Plasti Dip.

Is this something that can be done to the iPad?

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Jan 28, 2009
Just coat the screen with some liquid wax buy a gallon size plastic dip dip it let it hang dry repeat till thick enough.
the using a knife cut around the screen and peel off the plastic dip.

JP913

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2014
Orlando
I’ve never used Plasti Dip, but I often see cars on the road that look like they’ve been almost entirely coated with Plasti Dip.

Let’s say it’s possible, but why go through all the trouble? Isn’t that basically the same as throwing a plastic case on the iPad?
[doublepost=1542082687][/doublepost]Also, it may not be smart to totally encase your iPad I’m plastic. Even the tightest cases have some space to allow heat to escape.

UntitledImage

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
Few years ago, that used to be the way they demonstrated plasti dip. I don’t see why it would be a problem now. Dip your car .com used to make a ton of videos on it to show how safe it was.
I’ve never done it though, but I have blacked out all the insignia on my car with it. Easy.

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015

#1. Test the plastidip on a similar piece of aluminum see if when it dries it gives you the texture and feel you want.
#2. After that would be very easy to tape and mask off the front and speaker ports of the iPad and give it a test spray and peel it off after it dries just as test.
#3. Apply tons of high quality masking tape to the iPad and spray the plasti dip. All you will end up with is a matte coating that attracts dust like crazy.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

I can’t say I recommend this at all. Think about the ramifications of using plasti-dip on your iPad. I understand that plasti-dip can be easily peeled off once it thoroughly dries, but why risk using this product if some of the contents if it accidentally lodged in crevices or areas they could cause problems. I think their other viable protective solutions than using an a spray can adhesive on your iPad casing.

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015
I can’t say I recommend this at all. Think about the ramifications of using plasti-dip on your iPad. I understand that plasti-dip can be easily peeled off once it thoroughly dries, but why risk using this product if some of the contents if it accidentally lodged in crevices or areas they could cause problems. I think their other viable protective solutions than using an a spray can adhesive on your iPad casing.

I’d rather use a something like a Dbrand skin.

https://dbrand.com/shop/samsung-gal...MI16j615rR3gIVkITICh3XnAzEEAAYASAAEgLImvD_BwE

Would add some welcome grippy ness to the back of the iPad Pro.

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
I’ve used plasti dip a ton of times. It doesn’t feel great to the touch and will wear off from the oil on your fingers making the iPad look horrible.

likegadgets

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
US
Try bestskinsever.com. They should have the skins for the 2018 pros any day. Good protection and safe to apply.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
It will be difficult to keep it out of all the speakers (there are four of them on each corner), the USB-C port, and give access to the volume buttons, the electrical contacts on the back for accessories if you need that, or the sim card slot if you have an LTE model. You also have to worry about the iPad potentially overheating with such an insulated material directly attached to the metal. Don't do it.

Reactions: leebroath

furbzv1

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2014
i would not put plasti dip the ipad- that just sounds like a recipe for something to go wrong.
Just go with skin instead from DBrand

Reactions: baypharm
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.