Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zevrix

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 10, 2012
I wonder if there's any way to get rid of this alert? Yet another piece of pseudo-security nonsense Apple is obsessed with.

It looks like this alert pesters me now every time I login.

Sequoia 15.1, latest beta.

Thanks!

1727393190929.png

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
  • Nontechnical people will just click ok allow without knowing what it means.
  • Technical people do not need those guardrails.
  • Technical people do not need those guardrails and so will also click allow.
So everyone will click allow, all the time. Making this yet another pointless feature of macOS.

Reactions: zevrix

zevrix

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 10, 2012
plus i don't even understand what this bizarro message means. what will i "select from available devices" in Chrome to display what "content on them" and what does Chrome have to do with this?

and why does this suddenly require additional permissions - like what kind of sinister stuff was happening before, that involved Chrome and "devices on local networks"?

I'll make sure to submit this as a bug to Apple. hopefully, many other users will do the same.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
If I saw the dialog in the OP above, I would click "Don't Allow".
I don't want google prying/spying on me at all.
At least, I'll do whatever I can to prevent it.
(and no, I don't use google for searching... ANYWHERE).

mac_hack_attack

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2021
This is another example of MacOS being turned into iOS, which while there are some good parts, has on the whole, been very negative. The local network access restriction has been around in iOS for a number of years. It doesn't come up as often on a phone as most(not all, but most) Apps will use an Apple API to do local network things(Airplay, etc), and Apple system binaries have implicit permission.

The most egregious part, IMO, is that there is no way to disable it. My Mac is not a freaking phone. I don't use it like a phone. I don't want the low level system pieces(network, system certs, etc) to act like a phone.

Reactions: zevrix and gilby101

Rkuda

macrumors regular
May 23, 2016
I wonder if there's any way to get rid of this alert? Yet another piece of pseudo-security nonsense Apple is obsessed with.

It looks like this alert pesters me now every time I login.

Sequoia 15.1, latest beta.

Thanks!

View attachment 2428821

I don't consider it pseudo-security. Just because I have a need to run some piece of software doesn't mean I want to give it access to search my local network. Which includes ******* companies like Google trying to map out and identify me based on a unique set of devices that are in my house.

As an aside I don't run garbage software(anything from Google, Mozilla, MS, Meta, Adobe and many others) so almost never see these kinds of prompts.

If I do run a piece of software and see a bunch of popups requesting various permission it's a strong sign to delete it.

zevrix

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 10, 2012
in Privacy & Security – Local Network.

Ah that's where it is. Thanks for the info.

I searched System Settings several times for both "local" and "network" (separately) and it didn't bring up anything relevant in the search results. Definitely a bug - I sent it to Apple.

In the meantime, the alert indeed has stopped appearing on each login by now so I guess it was some kind of one-off issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.