Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

meeebee

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 23, 2016
I have several audiobooks in mp3 format and would like to listen to them on my watch on runs without my iphone. I know that audible has an app that allows me to load up books on the watch, but are there any other apps that do it without requiring the book to be bought from audible or apple?

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
I have several audiobooks in mp3 format and would like to listen to them on my watch on runs without my iphone. I know that audible has an app that allows me to load up books on the watch, but are there any other apps that do it without requiring the book to be bought from audible or apple?
Pretty sure you can just do this with the Books app

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
You can add your .mp3 files to the Books app on your Mac (File > Add to Library), and then listen to them on the Watch.

meeebee

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 23, 2016
I'm not able to load either mp3 or m4b into the books app. The files are grayed out and not selectable. I also went into iTunes and brought the files m4b in as an audiobook, but I'm still not able to bring audiobook file from the itunes folder into the books app. So can't figure it out.

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
I'm not able to load either mp3 or m4b into the books app. The files are grayed out and not selectable. I also went into iTunes and brought the files m4b in as an audiobook, but I'm still not able to bring audiobook file from the itunes folder into the books app. So can't figure it out.
Sorry to ask a couple of basic questions just to be sure. Are your mp3 files are stored in a regular Mac folder? And you're first opening Books, and then selecting Add to Library?

meeebee

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 23, 2016
Yes, it's stored in my Downloads folder. And I then bring up Books on the Mac, Add to Library, then go to that folder and can see them, just not select them to bring in (other epubs in that folder are selectable though).

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Yes, it's stored in my Downloads folder. And I then bring up Books on the Mac, Add to Library, then go to that folder and can see them, just not select them to bring in (other epubs in that folder are selectable though).
Wait, what version of macOS are you running? You mentioned iTunes at one point. Is this an older version of macOS? Because back when iTunes was a thing, the Books app didn't have audiobook functionality IIRC. That was still part of iTunes' responsibilities. It was part of the splitting of the apps that gave Books audiobooks features.

Reactions: 0128672

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
Wait, what version of macOS are you running? You mentioned iTunes at one point. Is this an older version of macOS? Because back when iTunes was a thing, the Books app didn't have audiobook functionality IIRC. That was still part of iTunes' responsibilities. It was part of the splitting of the apps that gave Books audiobooks features.
Oh good catch, casperes! Thank you. May your days be filled with pancakes. 🥞

meeebee

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 23, 2016
I'm on Mojave. Any ideas for non-Apple solutions then?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.