Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lvivske

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 22, 2011
🇺🇦
I bought some older CDs to rip into my collection as ALAC files, but Apple Music will randomly select a handful of them and 'Match' them to some terrible remaster, so I'll have to have the files take up space on my laptop and never stream - and if i stream on another device, it pulls the bad version of the song

This is across my collection, where sometimes I random songs will get matched to a greatest hits collection that isn't the same quality/volume as the rest of the album

Is there any way to avoid this?

mallbritton

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2006
Unfortnately, no, there is no way to control if a track is Matched or Uploaded. I sure wish there was.

• Sad
Reactions: Lvivske

Kiwi in Kyushu

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2021
Japan
What I do now is use iCloud files app to store my music files. And use KaiserTone app (HD music player) to play them (by copying the files from iCloud to the “fromfiles” folder in KaiserTone via the Files app.

It doesn’t solve your problem but something to consider if you want to play your original music files at high quality.

You just have to get used to a different interface is all.

B/D

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2016
Unfortunately, this have been an issue since the launch of Itunes Match in 2011. There is no way to force an upload, inexplicably, and the matching algorithm has indeed troubles differentiating between different remasters.

B/D

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2016
What I do now is use iCloud files app to store my music files. And use KaiserTone app (HD music player) to play them (by copying the files from iCloud to the “fromfiles” folder in KaiserTone via the Files app.

It doesn’t solve your problem but something to consider if you want to play your original music files at high quality.

You just have to get used to a different interface is all.

This count against your Icloud storage quota, whereas the icloud music library does not.

Lvivske

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 22, 2011
🇺🇦
Unfortunately, this have been an issue since the launch of Itunes Match in 2011. There is no way to force an upload, inexplicably, and the matching algorithm has indeed troubles differentiating between different remasters.
there used to be back on itunes match, i know there are guides online about swapping the left and right channels back then to confuse the algo; i know i did *something* back in the day to force most of my older masters to upload as 320kbps MP3s...

Reactions: B/D

Kiwi in Kyushu

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2021
Japan
This count against your Icloud storage quota, whereas the icloud music library does not.
That is true. And lossless files eat up a lot of data.

Each method has its pros and cons.

One additional pro for my method, is that you can use a different cloud service for storage of files.
- DropBox
- OneDrive
- GoogleDrive
are but some I know that work with the Apple Files app.

Also you can always convert your Cd’s to a lower bitrate like iTunes Match uses and store them in the cloud. Granted it still uses data, but a lot less than the lossless cd version.

• Love
Reactions: B/D

B/D

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2016
That is true. And lossless files eat up a lot of data.

Each method has its pros and cons.

One additional pro for my method, is that you can use a different cloud service for storage of files.
- DropBox
- OneDrive
- GoogleDrive
are but some I know that work with the Apple Files app.

Also you can always convert your Cd’s to a lower bitrate like iTunes Match uses and store them in the cloud. Granted it still uses data, but a lot less than the lossless cd version.

Very true. Your method also preserve lossless data, whereas Icloud Music Library convert the files to AAC 256 (even now, because Apple is only offering lossless for the Apple Music streaming catalog, but not for the Itunes Store purchases or for the icloud music library uploads).

Reactions: Kiwi in Kyushu
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.