Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

austin4ski

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 10, 2016
Hey all,
I have the 15in 2016 TB MBP
I notice if I have an external monitor plugged in my battery life is only 3.5 hours even without any applications open. I looked into it and I believe it's because external monitors trigger the high performance graphics, I don't think gfxcardstatus can turn it off can it?

Battery life is fine without anything plugged in.

Thanks!

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
AFAIK, this is not possible because the video output is wired via the dGPU. Why are you runnning an external display without power supply though?

Reactions: Macintosh IIcx

Jaekae

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2012
apple never thought someone would sit at a desk with an external monitor and choose to use battery power, the battery is more for on the go use. So no external monitor only run on the amd card

austin4ski

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 10, 2016
Ah, I see..That's unfortunate
My goal was to avoid bringing the charger with me every day to work where I use an external monitor.

thanks for the replies everyone!

fs454

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Los Angeles / Boston
Well, give gfxcardstatus a try. It allows you to sort of lock into a certain GPU and force it to either be integrated only or dedicated. I've used it to force integrated while doing light photoshop tasks on battery power on my Late 2013, but haven't given it a shot on the 2016 yet or specifically with external displays.

Stotka

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2009
Well, give gfxcardstatus a try. It allows you to sort of lock into a certain GPU and force it to either be integrated only or dedicated. I've used it to force integrated while doing light photoshop tasks on battery power on my Late 2013, but haven't given it a shot on the 2016 yet or specifically with external displays.

This can only work if you dont use external monitors. But OP needs it while using an external monitor.

cerberusss

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2013
The Netherlands
My goal was to avoid bringing the charger with me every day to work where I use an external monitor.

Get a couple of the Innergie chargers. They're 45 watts and come with an integrated USB-C cable, which saves you the hassle (and cost) of making sure you get a good quality cable. I've got one and it works great.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0188PAD00

Here's a good review by an engineer:
https://plus.google.com/102612254593917101378/posts/ArRcnu3sZpw?sfc=true

austin4ski

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 10, 2016
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.