Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Hello,

I have been looking for a hub that can control my Lutron, Ecobee systems, and also provide motion detectors for the house. So far Wink can do all of that, but I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with them and if so how do you like them?

I am extremely happy with the Lutron and Ecobee setup now. No complaints. I just want to add more functionality into the flow.

BarryL

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2012
Wink Hub 2 user here. I have about a bunch of lights, Ecobee 3, cameras and switches loaded.

I tend to only buy products that have native support in Wink. Biggest reason I picked Wink 2 was offline functions and it supports Bluetooth. They just added support to Switchmate (uses Bluetooth) and I'm hopefully they will expand Bluetooth.

One more thing great about Wink is they actually listen. Their support is in NY, you get a live person. Also their email support is awesome, they respond usually within 24 hrs.

No I don't work for Wink.

Not familiar with Lutron and how large their smart product support expands.

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Jan 28, 2009
I use smarthings. very well supported and the largest list of supported devices. it is very customizable too. it controls my locks, hue,wemo, sonos and quit a few others.

JaysNYC

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2017
I use smarthings. very well supported and the largest list of supported devices. it is very customizable too. it controls my locks, hue,wemo, sonos and quit a few others.
I would second Steve. I use Smartthings and Homekit. Smartthings for all my sensors, switches etc. Homekit for Hue and Lutron.
And the good thing about it is you can integrate your Smartthings devices into homekit by installing Homebridge.

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Jan 28, 2009
I don't do al to with homekit as I have worked out automating the hue lights so I seldom do anything with them. I just found iPhone and use their outlets because they are supported by everything

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I have Hue and Lutron, so I was using Wink for a long while. I switched to HomeKit with iOS 10, but may switch back to Wink with the 2nd generation hub. HomeKit isn't has reliable has I'd hoped.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Wink Hub 2 user here. I have about a bunch of lights, Ecobee 3, cameras and switches loaded.

I tend to only buy products that have native support in Wink. Biggest reason I picked Wink 2 was offline functions and it supports Bluetooth. They just added support to Switchmate (uses Bluetooth) and I'm hopefully they will expand Bluetooth.

One more thing great about Wink is they actually listen. Their support is in NY, you get a live person. Also their email support is awesome, they respond usually within 24 hrs.

No I don't work for Wink.

Not familiar with Lutron and how large their smart product support expands.

Have you had any issues with delays in activating scenes or turning things off and on?
[doublepost=1488212080][/doublepost]

I have also been looking at Smarthings, but as of right now they don't support Lutron. At CES 2017 Lutron and Smarthings are said to be working with each other and should have native support by "early" 2017.

I have been looking at both the Wink 2 and ST hub. I have been reading good and bad on both forums so I am kinda torn. Don't want to end up in the realm of the Revolv users! :eek:

BarryL

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2012
Have you had any issues with delays in activating scenes or turning things off and on?
[doublepost=1488212080][/doublepost]

I have also been looking at Smarthings, but as of right now they don't support Lutron. At CES 2017 Lutron and Smarthings are said to be working with each other and should have native support by "early" 2017.

I have been looking at both the Wink 2 and ST hub. I have been reading good and bad on both forums so I am kinda torn. Don't want to end up in the realm of the Revolv users! :eek:

I've had zero issues with scene or any delays. I've never seen Smart Things in action, just what I've seen on YouTube and reading.

To be honest either platform will probably be a good fit. Being an iPhone user, I figure ST might work better within Samsung ecosystem.

Does Smart Things support Bluetooth? I believe this is a key component moving forward.

What I really like is Wink 2 stores everything on the device while syncing with cloud. Meaning Wink 2 does not require internet access to complete command, and should shorten response times. Between this and Bluetooth, I think Wink 2 is ahead of Smart Things.

It could change, I don't see Wink or Smartthings becoming the next Revolv, as those two have clearly set themselves apart.

Last edited:

vrDrew

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
Midlife, Midwest
I've had a Wink Hub (the original) for a couple of years now. I wanted to "test the waters" with home automation, and this seemed like a fairly inexpensive and simple way of going about it.

Some general notes: The original Wink hub was not very reliable. Quite often, it would seem to go offline for no apparent reason, leaving me with an ugly flashing LED, and the ten minute task of resetting all my lights. It seems to have recently improved, via a software update. But I suspect this was the reason that Wink introduced the Hub 2.

From a practical perspective, the biggest issue is that its not very convenient to have to use a smartphone or iPad to turn the lights on and off. Timers can help to certain extent. I did add a motion detector and door sensors that would turn lights on and off. But programming these has turned out to be imperfect: The motion detector might see me coming into the room, but I would typically be halfway across the room before the light actually came on. I also found that sitting on the couch watching TV, the motion detector would fail to "see" me - meaning the lights would suddenly go out, thinking I'd left.

I have very recently added an Amazon Echo Dot, and this is much better. Simply telling Alexa to "turn off living room" was much easier than fumbling around for my iPhone, or simply walking away and hoping the motion detector worked.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.