Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DerChef

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 29, 2005
Northern Ireland
I have been using RAW for a while and trying to edit/convert them with Adobe CS2 (PC version) or Elements 3 (Mac version).

I find Adode's whole raw conversion not very intuitive and its auto correction functions very hit and miss.

What I have been starting to use is Raw Shooter on the PC which I find so much easier to get the effects I want. (Pity they would not produce a Mac Version)

:mad: Photos was one of the reasons I bought a Mac. Might think of aperture at sometime but only recently forked out the money for CS2:(

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Try "Bibble"

DerChef said:
I have been using RAW for a while and trying to edit/convert them with Adobe CS2 (PC version) or Elements 3 (Mac version).

I find Adode's whole raw conversion not very intuitive and its auto correction functions very hit and miss.

What I have been starting to use is Raw Shooter on the PC which I find so much easier to get the effects I want. (Pity they would not produce a Mac Version)

:mad: Photos was one of the reasons I bought a Mac. Might think of aperture at sometime but only recently forked out the money for CS2:(

Have you looked at the raw conversions done by iPhoto? From just a few hours of testing, I think they are very good. Of course you have zero control over the process untill _after_ the conversion but iPhoto 6 follows the comera settings.

I've also been exprimenting with the Nikon software wich is just to slow.

The best one I've found (so far) is "Bibble". It does a good job, has zillions of controls and has a batch mode where you can apply the same correction to any number of files. The software is not expensive and runs on Linux, Mac OSX (PPC and Intel), and MS Windows. Price is reasonable. free trial version at http://www.bibblelabs.com

I am not done looking at RAW conversion software. Results depends a lot of the settings and small details of your workflow. I've got three NEF files and I've putting each through a number of workflows and setings. It's a slow process. I got to bed at 4:00am late night.

I'll test out anythng that runs on Mac OSX that I can get hold of Next I'll try Nikon Cature 4.x Nikon offers a free 30 day trial. Adobe does too But I seriosly want something that I can use after I upgrade to an Intel Mac. It may be a long time before Adobe and Nikon go universal.

I'd be willing to work with others here possibly using the same NEF files and compare results.

kwajo.com

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Bay of Fundy
personally I like Adobe's RAW handling. I browse my photos in Bridge and have them all saved as DNG files. everything seems to work great, mind you I never use the Auto settings

billyb

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2003
Best photo manipulator/processor?

ChrisA said:
The best one I've found (so far) is "Bibble". It does a good job, has zillions of controls and has a batch mode where you can apply the same correction to any number of files. The software is not expensive and runs on Linux, Mac OSX (PPC and Intel), and MS Windows. Price is reasonable. free trial version at http://www.bibblelabs.com

I'm also in search of my favorite program for processing images. One that I tried and liked was CaptureOne, but I had one problem with it: It only worked for RAW files. I realize that CaptureOne is a RAW converter, so it's not a flaw, but i"m looking for a program that i can use to manipulate all of my pictures, including older ones that I shot in JPG. I find it a pain to have to switch to Photoshop or something.

So, can anyone recommend a program to manipulate/process both RAW and JPG pictures? I haven't tried iPhoto since version 4 (i think) since it bogged down on what was then a new computer (1 ghz PB 12"). i hear the newer versions are faster. I haven't use Photoshop CS2 much, since the vast majority of the changes I want to make are pretty simple (brightness, contrast, sharpening, etc.)

i'd love to have input on this. I use a Nikon D70 and the 1 Ghz PB, so things like Aperture are out. I've only barely tried Lightroom, which ran rather slowly.

Thanks!

bb

thecoalition

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2006
Adobe Lightroom

For a mac you should download the beta testing of Adobe Lightroom, it is free from their site, and they are testing with top professionals to try to create a great RAW handler. This is an application for photo professionals, and I don't think it comes close to aperture, but it should do all the functions you ask, the interface is just bare bones at this stage.

I also don't ever recommend using automatic conversion on anything, you should be tweaking it to find what works best for your camera, your pictures, your style.

ksz

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2003
USA
ChrisA said:
...The best one I've found (so far) is "Bibble". It does a good job, has zillions of controls and has a batch mode where you can apply the same correction to any number of files. The software is not expensive and runs on Linux, Mac OSX (PPC and Intel), and MS Windows. Price is reasonable. free trial version at http://www.bibblelabs.com
RawShooter Essentials 2006 is free and supports D200 NEFs. The free version does not offer as much image processing flexibility as its pro sibling, but it has all the basics and then some, including batch conversion. Downloadable from http://www.pixmantec.com, but alas does not support Mac.

...I'll test out anythng that runs on Mac OSX that I can get hold of Next I'll try Nikon Cature 4.x Nikon offers a free 30 day trial. Adobe does too But I seriosly want something that I can use after I upgrade to an Intel Mac. It may be a long time before Adobe and Nikon go universal.
Wait and try the all-new Nikon Capture NX. It's expected to remedy all of the shortcomings of its predecessor.

Rocky3478

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2005
thecoalition said:
For a mac you should download the beta testing of Adobe Lightroom, it is free from their site, and they are testing with top professionals to try to create a great RAW handler. This is an application for photo professionals, and I don't think it comes close to aperture, but it should do all the functions you ask, the interface is just bare bones at this stage.

I also don't ever recommend using automatic conversion on anything, you should be tweaking it to find what works best for your camera, your pictures, your style.

Lightroom is easily the best one that I've used, and I've tried ACR, Capture One, iPhoto, Bibble, and Lightroom. It wins on ease of use and good results. Granted that I haven't used Aperture though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.