Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
I'm interested in how it plays with your Apple machine, can anybody let me know. I'm also interested in how you can transfer the images, through iphoto say or through the bundled software. Is the software any good, does it play nicely, is it useful?

Besides how it lives with your mac, how does it perform in general?

What is the buffer lag like, does it really impact on a shoot say?

Crawn2003

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2005
Santa Rosa, California
I use one with the MB-D200 Grip.

Awesome camera and works really great with my Macs. I'm sorry but I don't use iPhoto or bundled software. I find that using Lightroom, Aperture, and Photoshop gives me better control over the photos I do.

Now for performance, it's okay. It isn't as fast (buffer wise) as it's sister camera, the D200. This doesn't hinder me at all though. It isn't that noticeable for me. I do keep a backup camera, a Nikon D200, just in case I'm sent to photograph something that is high speed but for the most part the Fuji S5 works great for everything I do.

~Crawn

Butthead

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2006
I'm interested in how it plays with your Apple machine, can anybody let me know. I'm also interested in how you can transfer the images, through iphoto say or through the bundled software. Is the software any good, does it play nicely, is it useful?

Considering buying one, or you already have one?

If considering buying one, then you probably want to do more research to see if it meets your goals.

Check through some of the links in my post here on the recent HDR thread:

https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/4226527/

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
I am interested in buying one, they are cheaper than a Canon 5D and I´m not a fan of Nikon cameras, with this Fuji I´m bending the rules slightly.

But I use film at the moment still so even going to a S5 should be faster than using a Canon A1! :)

I´ll check out the link thanks.

epicwelshman

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2006
Nassau, Bahamas
I am interested in buying one, they are cheaper than a Canon 5D and I´m not a fan of Nikon cameras, with this Fuji I´m bending the rules slightly.

But I use film at the moment still so even going to a S5 should be faster than using a Canon A1! :)

I´ll check out the link thanks.

If you have Canon lenses already, wouldn't it make more sense to stick with Canon?

Secondly... I don't know if I'd compare the 5D to an S5... two very different cameras aimed at two different markets.

Also, the S5 is just a rebranded Nikon D200, so if you hate Nikon cameras...

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA

I don't have an S5, but I've had two S2Pros, and my workflow didn't include the Fuji software mostly because I started out using them with Linux systems and put the CDs somewhere and never found them. I know quite a few people who used the Fuji software though and they seemed pretty happy with it. I'm also a big fan of "take out the card and put it in a reader" since there's less chance a tethered camera can go crashing down and it doesn't suck batteries to transfer that way.

Apple's software likes my S2 RAF files, so I don't see why you'd have any issues with the S5.

It looks like it's faster than the S3Pro, which was such a dog it's not funny. The S2Pro was no speed queen, but I found it bearable- the real key is your shooting style, if you're a spray-and-pray kind of shooter, none of Fuji's F-mount cameras are going to be favorable. If you shoot pretty-much like you shot film you should be ok. If there's *any* question though, you should go somewhere where you can try one out.

If I shot weddings, I'd own 2 S5's, just for the tonal range for B&G pictures.

epicwelshman

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2006
Nassau, Bahamas
Um, that's a stretch- it uses Fuji's sensor, Fuji's firmware, Fuji's software... The body and basic camera functions are the same as a D200, but it's hardly just a rebranded one.

That's true, sorry. What I was trying to say is that people generally "dislike" a camera brand for things like build quality, ergonomics, lens choice etc. In terms of those criteria, the S5 is pretty much a D200. Do you know what I'm trying to say?

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
I just at your website, and you have one helluva great arsenal of canon primes. The Fuji sensor might be good, but I wouldn't trade glass like the 50/1.2L for it. While you're saving up for a 5D, you could use a 40D or even save money and get a 20D.

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
If you have Canon lenses already, wouldn't it make more sense to stick with Canon?

Secondly... I don't know if I'd compare the 5D to an S5... two very different cameras aimed at two different markets.

Also, the S5 is just a rebranded Nikon D200, so if you hate Nikon cameras...

The Canon lenses I own are for the FD, so when I go digital I will have to lose them anyway, its makes no difference really. The Fuji with a 30mm Sigma lense is cheaper than just the 5D body by itself!

I don't like Nikon lenses because their RAW implementation is different to Fuji's and call me weird but they don't look nice, where as the Fuji I do like and I know its RAW files are easier to handle. I owned a Fuji S7000 a while back (different type of camera again) and its RAW worked beautifully with my software at the time. I'm only going back to what I know really.

I just at your website, and you have one helluva great arsenal of canon primes. The Fuji sensor might be good, but I wouldn't trade glass like the 50/1.2L for it. While you're saving up for a 5D, you could use a 40D or even save money and get a 20D.

Maybe I should wait for the Fuji S6 and check out its sensor? :) Thanks for looking at the site as well, updates are coming next week, I just got back from Japan!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.