Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sewerhead

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 25, 2010
Newfoundland Canada
I have done some early research on the 1D series and I can see some interesting features. Before getting ahead of myself I would like to hear from some folks who are using a1D series.

I currently have a 5D and shoot mainly landscape. Thought like everybody I often get asked to do family pics because they think because I can shoot a mountain - I can shoot a face!!

SayCheese

macrumors 68000
Jun 14, 2007
Oxfordshire, England
When you say 1D camera, which version are you talking about?
The Mk I, II, III or IV? Or even the 1DS versions?

I only ask as there were some major changes between some of the releases. Also it depends upon what you want to do with it. If you are taking landscapes and portraits, the you might want to look at the 1DS range (finances permitting). However if you wanted a new camera, if you were changing to sports you would probably be better off with the 1D range.

firestarter

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2002
Green and pleasant land
Apart from water protection, I can't think of a single aspect of the 1D series which would be better than the 5DII for landscape photography.

Which 1D were you looking at in particular?

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
I have a 1D Mark III in my kit bag, along with a 5D Mark II. They're different cameras for different jobs.

The 1D Mark III and IV are journalism cameras, particularly sports, which is mainly evidenced by the 10fps shooting speed, high buffers and the 1.3x crop (which comes in useful when using telephoto lenses). There is also the advantage of weather sealing, robustness and the built in grip.

The 1Ds (Mark III only currently, but they will release an IV sometime) are studio and landscape cameras. As it stands right now though, the 5D Mark II offers a lot of the features of the 1Ds Mark III without much of the cost - its only lacking full weather sealing and some of the build, but does have a newer processing pipelines and arguably better ISO performance. Right now, I wouldn't buy a 1Ds.

Buying a 1D camera comes down to what you need it for. Do you need all-weather sealing? Do your cameras take a battering in the field that would mandate a more robust construction? Do you really need the expense, or would a "lesser" camera do?

In my line of work, the most common combo I see is a 1D Mark III/1D Mark IIN, coupled with a 5D/5D Mark II - but this is journalism, not landscapes.

Edge100

macrumors 68000
May 14, 2002
Where am I???
My main camera for event work is a 1DmkII usually paired with a 70-200 f/2.8, and I supplement this with a 5D paired with a 24-70 f/2.8.

1DmkII is a wonderful camera; size may be an issue for some, but I find the weight to be a feature rather than a hindrance (and if you put a battery grip on a 5D/7D/50D, the weight is about the same anyway).

The 1DmkII takes some time to get to know, but once you "get it", it all makes sense and the camera is a breeze to operate. The weather sealing is nice, but not something I really need all that much. It's also great to have useable outer focus points as well as dual card slots for redundancy.

That said, for landscapes, the 1DmkII would not be my first choice. Its 8.2MP is quite low for that type of shooting, where it is outresolved by a more modern camera. Also, for landscapes, you're either going to be manually focusing (live view or otherwise) or using the centre point, so the AF performance of the camera is less of an issue.

If you were buying a "new" camera, I might suggest a 1Ds mkII; its 16MP will be a small step up from the 5D, and you get all the other great 1-series features to boot (and it can now be had for <$2000, which is an absolute steal). But since you've already got the 5D, I'd say keep that until you can afford a nice big step up to the 5DmkII.

Gold89

macrumors 6502
Dec 17, 2008
UK
If you were buying a "new" camera, I might suggest a 1Ds mkII; its 16MP will be a small step up from the 5D, and you get all the other great 1-series features to boot (and it can now be had for <$2000, which is an absolute steal). But since you've already got the 5D, I'd say keep that until you can afford a nice big step up to the 5DmkII.

Yep the 1D series are great cameras but the early 1Ds are beginning to look dated and although MP are not everything you might find the image size lacking for landscapes. The original 5D is still a great camera as well so unless you need weather sealing stick with what you've got until you can step up to a 5DII or 1Dsmk3. :)

Edge100

macrumors 68000
May 14, 2002
Where am I???
Yep the 1D series are great cameras but the early 1Ds are beginning to look dated and although MP are not everything you might find the image size lacking for landscapes. The original 5D is still a great camera as well so unless you need weather sealing stick with what you've got until you can step up to a 5DII or 1Dsmk3. :)

I agree; the jump from 1Ds2 from 5D (in terms of MP) is not huge, and while the 1Ds2 is built better and has other great features, it wouldn't be worth the change if I already had a 5D.

Avoid the original 1Ds, which is a step backward in all respects vs. the 5D.

But from 5D to 5D2 or 1Ds3 is a BIG jump.

sewerhead

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 25, 2010
Newfoundland Canada
Thanks

Been away for a while and just now reviewing replies. Frankly I have a few $ available and have been thinking of putting it into an upgrade and figure this will be the last one for a good while. So I am a bit unsure if I should go with the 5D2 or take a bigger leap and go with a 1D series. While there seemed to be some problems with the 1Ds, sounds like they have been taken care of now.

I will continue to watch comments and do other research. Even thinking now to wait for the next 1Ds - whenever that might come out.

I agree; the jump from 1Ds2 from 5D (in terms of MP) is not huge, and while the 1Ds2 is built better and has other great features, it wouldn't be worth the change if I already had a 5D.

firestarter

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2002
Green and pleasant land
Been away for a while and just now reviewing replies. Frankly I have a few $ available and have been thinking of putting it into an upgrade and figure this will be the last one for a good while. So I am a bit unsure if I should go with the 5D2 or take a bigger leap and go with a 1D series. While there seemed to be some problems with the 1Ds, sounds like they have been taken care of now.

I will continue to watch comments and do other research. Even thinking now to wait for the next 1Ds - whenever that might come out.

You haven't said what features of the 1 series attract you.

If you're a landscape photographer, I can't see what the extra money is buying you over the 5DII.

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2008
SLC
also remember the AF on the 1D series is better than the 5D series. I also believe the weather sealing on the 1D series is better as well.

The original 1DS, which a great camera, is 7 years old. The original 5D is a better option vs the 1Ds. The 1Ds has a better build and AF, but performs lowly on high ISO. People have said to keep it below 200. Not to say you cannot get great results from the 1Ds.

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America

I went from the 5D to the 1Dsmk2. The difference is huge. I had the 5D as a backup body and then sold it because I never used it ever again.

There is a lot to be said for the weather sealing and the Auto-focus. I'll never go back to any other lower Canon series camera. Then there is the dual memory card slots and longer battery life. The raw output is also (imo) much much better.

I also choose the 1Dsmk2 over the 5Dmk2, my housemate has one (5Dmk2) and when he finally used mine for any length of time he realised how good it was.

Now I've gone and bought a bargain 1Dmk2N as well.

I agree on the original 1Ds or 1D however. Don't bother with them.

sewerhead

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 25, 2010
Newfoundland Canada
I went from the 5D to the 1Dsmk2. The difference is huge. I had the 5D as a backup body and then sold it because I never used it ever again.

There is a lot to be said for the weather sealing and the Auto-focus. I'll never go back to any other lower Canon series camera. Then there is the dual memory card slots and longer battery life. The raw output is also (imo) much much better.

I also choose the 1Dsmk2 over the 5Dmk2, my housemate has one (5Dmk2) and when he finally used mine for any length of time he realised how good it was.

Now I've gone and bought a bargain 1Dmk2N as well.

I agree on the original 1Ds or 1D however. Don't bother with them.
Thanks, your experience is very helpful. Interesting when I went from the Rebel xt to the 5D I too kept the former for a 2nd body but never used it! Eventually gave it to my son who has now migrated to the 7D - very nice camera.

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
Thanks, your experience is very helpful. Interesting when I went from the Rebel xt to the 5D I too kept the former for a 2nd body but never used it! Eventually gave it to my son who has now migrated to the 7D - very nice camera.

I must state by the way that my housemate has realised how good the AF is compared to his 5Dmk2.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.