Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

navaira

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 28, 2015
Amsterdam, Netherlands
Hi all,

I bought an Acer H277HU monitor with built-in hub. I am using it for keyboard dongle (Microsoft Sculpt) and USB external drive.

After using it for about three days, the external drive crashed while copying and directory structure got completely damaged. Had I not been rather good at recovering data, I would lose all the contents. As things are, I only lost one file. But at exactly the same moment keyboard stopped working as well. Disconnecting rMB and the monitor didn't help, neither did switching the monitor off, it only worked again after unplugging from electricity and plugging back. System Report did not detect the USB-A ports.

I updated to Sierra 10.12.4 yesterday even though I didn't want to, because I thought maybe some sort of driver issue could have caused the problem.

A moment ago I got, at the same time, the "Backup was not ejected properly" message and my keyboard started typing infinite amount of spaces. But once I clicked a key on the keyboard all went to normal, and the disk remounted itself automagically. (???)

I am using the USB-C cable that I got with the display. What I wonder is – did anybody have this sort of problems with rMB? (Search didn't give me any sensible results.) If yes, was the rMB or the hub causing the issue? I can't decide whether to try and return the display, especially as I can't reproduce the problem; I stress-tested the drive for hours and nothing happened, and now that I was actually not using it for anything, just typing, the USB sort of "blinked" off and on.

Thanks for any responses!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.