Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Would you drive...

• 1-3 hours

Votes: 20 71.4%
  • 4-6 hours

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Would not drive, i'd just wait

Votes: 5 17.9%

• Total voters

gsk158

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2014
Hadn't seen any posts about this but Was curious if anyone here has traveled (would travel) to pick up the phone that they wanted. I figured that it would be more so for the iPhone 7+ and with a lot of new stock coming into Apple stores around the country. And since there isn't an Apple Store in every city, did anyone drive to get their phone, instead of wait to receive it in the mail?

iphone1027

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2008
Hadn't seen any posts about this but Was curious if anyone here has traveled (would travel) to pick up the phone that they wanted. I figured that it would be more so for the iPhone 7+ and with a lot of new stock coming into Apple stores around the country. And since there isn't an Apple Store in every city, did anyone drive to get their phone, instead of wait to receive it in the mail?
I made a reservation this past Sunday and drove 1 hr to the Apple store closest to me and picked up a 7+ MB. I never pre-ordered one.

Reactions: gsk158

jetsam

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2015
I drove 40 minutes to pick up an iPhone 7 Plus at an Apple store instead of waiting until my estimated shipping date of October 14-21 from AT&T. Ordered Tuesday night, picked up Wednesday.

gsk158

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2014
40 mins to an hour definitely is a significant drive in comparison to a 15-20 min drive to your local store. But has anyone driven or would consider drive 2 - 3 hours to pick up a phone? Would you drive that? at what point does it becomes ridiculous lol. Because you've got to drive back and 2-3 hours turns in to 4-6 roundtrip.

csmith1289

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2014
I'm super impatient and I would drive probably up to 2.5 hours lol. New Orleans is 1.5 hrs from me and if they would have had my phone in stock I absolutely would have drove to get. But they never got any, at least not when I was checking. Thankfully my MB 7+ 256gb came in the mail yesterday! Oh and to make matters worse, I am 38 weeks pregnant Don't judge.

On another note, I'm one of the lucky ones to receive a phone with the hissing problem. Clearly stock is super low so I guess I'll wait a few weeks before I even try to get it replaced.

Mydu

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2015
Barcelona
I did it when the 6 & 6 plus came out. My country (Spain) was still in the second wave launch so I had to drive 3 hours 30 minutes to Montpellier in France to buy the phone

Reactions: csmith1289

gsk158

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2014
I did it when the 6 & 6 plus came out. My country (Spain) was still in the second wave launch so I had to drive 3 hours 30 minutes to Montpellier in France to buy the phone
wow, that's 7 hour round trip! i think i would be willing to do that, in gas (here in america) it's about $25-30 so not terrible. That would be the furthest i think i would travel; for me that would be about the maximum.

WyldRyce

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2011
The closest location that has the 128GB MB Plus in stock is 4 hours away. I considered it but I'm fine with just waiting. I would do 2 hours away top.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
Pretty the farthest I'd drive to pick up something that's not vital to my existence or the existence of someone I care about an hour or two tops.

Orlandu

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2010
Yes! But only to my brother's house to pick it up after Fedex dropped it off. I had it delivered to their house since it's listed as the primary address. We share an account to save on our cellphone bill but he has Direct TV which enabled us to all get unlimited data with AT&T. The primary address has to be where the Direct TV service is, even though it's my AT&T account because I have the higher employer discount plan.

bigjnyc

macrumors G3
Apr 10, 2008
Anything over 30min is not worth it for me, I rather just wait at that point. but it's easy for me to say since I am in NYC and have 5 Apple stores within 10-20 minutes of me lol.
[doublepost=1474643052][/doublepost]
wow, that's 7 hour round trip! i think i would be willing to do that, in gas (here in america) it's about $25-30 so not terrible. That would be the furthest i think i would travel; for me that would be about the maximum.

do you drive a golf cart? lol

Reactions: gsk158

gsk158

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2014
I would agree with most of you the farthest would be about 3 hours. Some people wait for a new phone in line and it basically the same thing as a road trip (except the money you spend on gas.)
[doublepost=1474643242][/doublepost]
Anything over 30min is not worth it for me, I rather just wait at that point. but it's easy for me to say since I am in NYC and have 5 Apple stores within 10-20 minutes of me lol.
[doublepost=1474643052][/doublepost]

do you drive a golf cart? lol
haha a 6 hour round trip for me is a little over 400 miles so i'd say thats about a tank of gas or a little more. the average gas price is $1.90/gallon where i live so it's not super expensive.
[doublepost=1474643294][/doublepost]And props to those voters who said they would drive 4-6 hours for a phone haha thats awesome

vanimal

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2014
Yup drove a hour down the highway. Guy in front of me waiting for his reserve came from NY which was 2.5 hours away for him. I have a apple location 10 mins from me but at the time i reserved my matte black the previous night they only had a silver or gold i believe.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.