Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Relax.wealthy.enchant

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 25, 2017
Previously you just:

(1) swipe from the right.
(2) swipe from the top to pick an app you want. Easy. Done.

Now, you:

(1) Swipe up to reveal the dock
(2) Find the app in the dock (what if I want to open something not in the dock?)
(3) Hold down on the app and wait until it becomes movable.
(4) Drag it to the side
(5) Fiddle to catch that little gray bar (keep fiddling! You almost got it! Try again!)
(6) Drag it down as it takes up the 1/3 position
(7) Resize it to the middle.

Is this not sadomasochism? I genuinely don’t understand how this is tolerable let alone better, and turns a superb feature into a burdensome exercise.

Thoughts, people?

jr866gooner

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
What does it look like? Is it possible to capture a video of how it runs? I've yet to see it!

Sunshoopa

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2011
“(2) Find the app in the dock (what if I want to open something not in the dock?)”

Hold down the app on the home screen with a finger, then with the other hand/finger bring up the multitasking screen, and then drag the app to the app you want to multitask with. There’s actually a couple of things you can do with using 2 fingers at once like this.

I personally didn’t like pre-iOS 11 myself. Had so much trouble finding the app I wanted to do it with on the slide thing. Had like 20+ apps to go through.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Previously you just:

Now, you:

(2) Find the app in the dock (what if I want to open something not in the dock?)
(4) Drag it to the side
(5) Fiddle to catch that little gray bar (keep fiddling! You almost got it! Try again!)

Is this not sadomasochism? I genuinely don’t understand how this is tolerable let alone better, and turns a superb feature into a burdensome exercise.

Thoughts, people?

In reality, the old method involved you scrolling down forever until you found the app you wanted to launch.

I have been using ios 11 on my iPad for some time and I prefer the new method. Even switching apps is faster now (just swipe up and launch the new app from the dock) compared to the older method of entering multitasking mode.

The new multitasking method can be faster and more powerful, but it also requires you to relearn everything you have been used to. For example, if you have two apps that will often be used side by side, you will want only one of them in the dock. You will also want to rethink how you arrange the apps on your home screen.

Donfor39

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2012
Lanarkshire Scotland
Took me quite some time to get used to multitasking.

Though a kind mse’r had posted me a very useful link with instructions.

I’ve since improved my multitasking users knowledge to my benefit.

Managed to remove the minor annoyances in closing one split screen app when required.

Early days though starting to enjoy multitasking.

Since looking forward to io11 final version.

Superhappytree

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2015
Cumbria
Previously you just:

Now, you:

(4) Drag it to the side

Thoughts, people?

Yep, I honestly don't understand how everyone is saying it's better either. It requires much more muscle memory and is way more of a hassle for me than a convenience. I much preferred the way it was on iOS 10. If they had kept it like that and just made searching for apps in the app switcher easier then that would've been better. I like the dock and everything else though, but multitasking is now more cumbersome for me than anything.
[doublepost=1503744208][/doublepost]
Took me quite some time to get used to multitasking.

Though a kind mse’r had posted me a very useful link with instructions.

Doesn't that go against Apples ease of use though, the fact that you need instructions to do such a simple thing? The beauty of iOS is (or was) that you don't need a manual or instructions on how to use the OS. Forstall did an interview a couple months ago saying that's what he looks for when designing an OS; to make it intuitive and easy to use so that the user shouldn't have to look up on how to use it.

Last edited:

az431

Suspended
Sep 13, 2008
Portland, OR
I've been using an iPad with iOS 11 almost exclusively since the third beta, and yesterday tried an older iPad with iOS 10. Going back to iOS 10 I found multitasking and control center more difficult to use, less intuitive, and less powerful in iOS 11.

IndianBird

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
I’ve been using it since beta 1 and it’s not longer a nuisance for me. Just took some practice. I had trouble with the home screen multitask for a while but once I conquered that I was ready to roll.

Reactions: BWhaler

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
The overall idea behind the new multi-tasking is better, but the triggers to initiate it are essentially impossible to discover. There are many ways they could have implemented this much more naturally, yet it feels like Apple continues to gimp iOS on the iPad to artificially separate the abilities of iOS and MacOS. With multi-touch it should be trivial to re-size an app and place it anywhere you want as an overlay, or to dismiss it. Instead they are using all these hidden triggers and very specific, hard to notice and harder to hit handles to manage it. Terrible design.

Reactions: trifid

Relax.wealthy.enchant

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 25, 2017
I’ve had the beta now for a while, and I basically stopped using Multitasking in iOS because it’s such a nuisance.

The new features are definitely cool, but I feel like I’d be happy with the new way, as AN ADDITION to the iOS 10 functionality. You want just to swipe from right, BOOM. You want to use two hands and cast multi-tasking spells, go for it.

IF they simply didn’t remove the “swipe from right” shortcut to initiate the split screen rather than the “floating” window, I’d be super happy. My biggest pet-pieve is having to try to stab that handle with my finger, where as before I could initiate multi-tasking without even looking at the screen.

Definitely a worse experience overall.

At the very least I’d hope they would add an option under Settings → General → Multi-tasking to enable/disable swipe from right for split screen (not floating) - that would be a fair compromise.

Last edited:

Relax.wealthy.enchant

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 25, 2017
In fact, what would be FAR more intuitive imo is where you swipe from the bottom to the task switcher, then just drag the windows you want to split-screen to the edges and it just snaps in:

Want split screen with last app? Swipe from the right like in iOS 10.

Want more control over picking which apps go where, swipe up, drag. Wouldn’t that be a hell of a lot easier?

61B9213C-7298-4D5B-9CE6-2E17FCFFD11C.jpeg

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
In fact, what would be FAR more intuitive imo is where you swipe from the bottom to the task switcher, then just drag the windows you want to split-screen to the edges and it just snaps in:

Want more control over picking which apps go where, swipe up, drag. Wouldn’t that be a hell of a lot easier?

View attachment 714631

I would say take it a step further. From your screenshot, allow us to grab a tile and place it anywhere we want and size it any size we want. That's what it *feels* like we should be able to do.

ashindnile

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2015

View attachment 714631
Hell I want macOS to do this.

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
While I do really appreciate all the new multitasking options, I can't get used to paired/split screened apps staying together as a 'space' until you break it apart.

I miss the old way of being able to go into split screen, and jumping between primary apps while the 2nd (right side split screened) app stays pinned/available. Simple example - I have safari open on the left and split screen with a message conversation on the right (using 1/4 or whatever the smallest screen ratio is). Previously I could jump between safari and mail while Messages would stay as the split screened app. Now, if I switch from safari to mail, or to another app, messages is now pinned to safari. If from mail, I go to the home screen, and then hit Messages (with the intention of wanting to open just messages), it launches the space where it's in a split screen with safari.

I can appreciate that (in the context of the app switcher) if you think of these as spaces and no longer apps, its similar to the Mac. So if I have multiple spaces/desktops on Mac, and Messages is on the 3rd space with other apps, yet I'm on the first space with nothing open, clicking Messages from the dock will jump me to that 3rd space. So it does create some consistency in that regard. And also, while I don't enjoy using it as much, slide over can accomplish keeping an app available while jumping between other spaces/apps.

Relax.wealthy.enchant

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 25, 2017
I agree. I mean, it's not MacOS so I understand that Apple can't necessarily give you actual "windows".

But I definitely like the iOS 10 "swipe from right" far simpler to use. Something that took half a second now takes like 7 seconds.

It was just as elegant as one could possibly make it, and they over-engineered it — and now we're going to be stuck with it.
[doublepost=1503791013][/doublepost]
While I do really appreciate all the new multitasking options, I can't get used to paired/split screened apps staying together as a 'space' until you break it apart.

I miss the old way of being able to go into split screen, and jumping between primary apps while the 2nd (right side split screened) app stays pinned/available. Simple example - I have safari open on the left and split screen with a message conversation on the right (using 1/4 or whatever the smallest screen ratio is). Previously I could jump between safari and mail while Messages would stay as the split screened app. Now, if I switch from safari to mail, or to another app, messages is now pinned to safari. If from mail, I go to the home screen, and then hit Messages (with the intention of wanting to open just messages), it launches the space where it's in a split screen with safari.

I can appreciate that (in the context of the app switcher) if you think of these as spaces and no longer apps, its similar to the Mac. So if I have multiple spaces/desktops on Mac, and Messages is on the 3rd space with other apps, yet I'm on the first space with nothing open, clicking Messages from the dock will jump me to that 3rd space. So it does create some consistency in that regard. And also, while I don't enjoy using it as much, slide over can accomplish keeping an app available while jumping between other spaces/apps.

Completely agree - it is a very different (and ********) workflow. Before you could rely on one app being the MAIN one, while you can switch quickly between others.

Now you're stuck with this binding. Hell, half the time now I want to app NOT be split screen, and it's just as cumbersome to get it out of that mode too. When you command+tab back it reappears in "floating" mode. So annoying.

Reactions: jalyst

jalyst

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2009
As someone who's a relative newcomer to heavy iOS use (~3wks), will I even care about the complaints/issues being raised here?

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
As someone who's a relative newcomer to heavy iOS use (~3wks), will I even care about the complaints/issues being raised here?

I think you will even if you don't notice it. Likely you'll just use iOS and never even discover much of what we are talking about here - but that's kind of the point - it's Apple and it's iOS. It's supposed to be easy.

Appleaker

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2016
It’s much easier if you’re always multitasking with a set of apps you have in the dock, but otherwise the other method would be superior (however, only with a new app selector, as the that one was terrible and would arguably take longer than the new method in many cases.

jalyst

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2009
I think you will even if you don't notice it. Likely you'll just use iOS and never even discover much of what we are talking about here - but that's kind of the point - it's Apple and it's iOS. It's supposed to be easy.

Hmm, not sure I get what you're trying to say... o_O

Best Regards.

jalyst

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2009
So in other words; you don't think the vast majority users will be worried about the concerns/issues raised by the OP in this thread, as they won't have known how it was diff/better (at least in some ways) pre iOS 11x?

ANDJOE

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2010
iOS 11’s multi-tasking has taken some getting used to. I’m getting the hang of it.
But I wish when in an app, you could swipe down from the top of the screen and get a search option which led to being able to bring apps into split-screening or slide over. At the moment you get the “new” lock screen which you can swipe to the left to get to widgets and search, but you can’t drag apps from search results anywhere.
This would be a nice solution that fits within the iOS 11 design.

big samm

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
I dont hate it but don’t love it either, i got used to it but im sure normal people won’t be using it too much. These gestures are not too intuitive yet, maybe with time we’ll see a change

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.