Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AthenaNoctua

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 5, 2012
I have a 2-month-old M1 Max MBP, running Monterey 12.2.1.The other day, I tried to access my bank, which uses reCAPTCHA. Got this:

Cannot contact reCAPTCHA. Check your connection and try again.

I connect via my phone, as there's no functional wifi where I am (technically, there is wifi, but we're talking early '90s dialup speeds. I can't even send an email without attachments).

For info:

I have no 3rd-party software installed, bar Office365, Chrome, Firefox and a couple of games. Nothing which would interfere with my connection.
Tried whitelisting sites
Phone has been rebooted
Doesn't like safe mode, either.

I posted to Apple's forums, and several people responded saying they couldn't access reCAPTCHA with their M1s Macs, either (both MkI and MkII).

Is this a known issue with M1 chip Macs? As you would expect, my bank isn't the only site I access regularly which uses it, as it's that ubiquitous. I still have my old MBP (2016 Touch Bar with the impossible to type on keyboard) so, at a push, I can use that (unless it occurs on there too - it's running whatever version of Big Sur was around at the end of last year).

But it would be interesting/useful to know how widespread this issue is (it definitely existed prior to the installation of 12.2.1, so that's not the cause (I updated in the hope it might cure it!)).

So, any MR-er having a problem...? Of course the other pertinent question is: why...? What is it about ARM-Macs which breaks reCAPTCHA...? I realise that Google and Apple haven't exactly been BFFs for a while, but that can't be the reason - can it...? And here was I thinking Apple not allowing Samsung phones to connect natively was petty...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.