Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zonck

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 27, 2020
I keep coming around to the idea that HomeKit might not be the one for me anymore and was wondering if anyone else felt the same?

I am unable to find decent products (doorbells, I’m looking at you) the products I do find all seem to require their own app or cloud service and when Siri does decide to work she just tells me she’s perpetually ‘working on it..’
Eve seem to be going God’s work and single handle producing solid HomeKit products. WHY aren’t Apple producing a first party line of products ala Google Nest (where all you need is one google account), I’ll never know.

At the risk of this being more of a rant than a constructive thread, is anyone else feeling the same and has anyone any experience of other assistants? Though I think I’d rather burn my house down than get an Alexa.

Alternatively, is there anything people are thinking with ‘save’ it, that isn’t Matter which right now seems like bit of a Potemkin village.

Calumma

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2020
I have over 80 HomeKit devices and 150+ automations and mostly find that everything runs really well. I’m using an airport base station with multiple access points (all airport as well, connected to 5e Ethernet).

I do find that Siri is often slow to respond. Siri would be much better if she didn’t chatter so much. For example I ask Siri to enable my home office scene and it always works but like you I sometimes hear ‘working on it’ etc. By the time I’ve walked down the garden to my office, the scene is set so I don’t need to hear the chatter. Rather than rely on Siri I’ve put together automations to set scenes etc and this works really well. Must admit though that I’ve always approached HomeKit as a tool to creating useful automations (using Home, Eve, Controller and Home+ together with homebridge). I prefer not to keep saying hey Siri, so haven’t relied on the voice assistant so much.

So whilst I definitely agree that Siri needs work, I do think HomeKit is a powerful platform for home automation. It works really well for me with my setup and I wouldn’t want to change to another platform.

Zonck

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 27, 2020
I have over 80 HomeKit devices and 150+ automations and mostly find that everything runs really well. I’m using an airport base station with multiple access points (all airport as well, connected to 5e Ethernet).

I do find that Siri is often slow to respond. Siri would be much better if she didn’t chatter so much. For example I ask Siri to enable my home office scene and it always works but like you I sometimes hear ‘working on it’ etc. By the time I’ve walked down the garden to my office, the scene is set so I don’t need to hear the chatter. Rather than rely on Siri I’ve put together automations to set scenes etc and this works really well. Must admit though that I’ve always approached HomeKit as a tool to creating useful automations (using Home, Eve, Controller and Home+ together with homebridge). I prefer not to keep saying hey Siri, so haven’t relied on the voice assistant so much.

So whilst I definitely agree that Siri needs work, I do think HomeKit is a powerful platform for home automation. It works really well for me with my setup and I wouldn’t want to change to another platform.
Perhaps I do use it incorrectly. If I’ve a few things I want done I get sick of the sound of my own voice. Would love if we could chain commands rather incessantly saying ‘Hey Siri’.

If found Siri won’t always play music, I can’t always access the cameras in homekit, tiles in Home return ‘No Response’, I’m now getting constant account issues with the HomePods.

Don’t get me wrong, I love the idea of it and as an Apple One subscriber I want to keep it all under one ecosystem etc. I’m just getting hacked off with how flakey it is and the lack of good third party accessories. I think I’m just grumpy this morning so wanted other opinions before I tear it all out haha.

Reactions: TVreporter

kytiger

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2011
I’m starting to consider a move away from HomeKit. It’s just not reliable. My wife hates it. Most of my stuff would be compatible with Google so I’m starting to about it. It‘s been very disappointing.

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
... all seem to require their own app or cloud service and when Siri does decide to work she just tells me she’s perpetually ‘working on it..’
I only have Philips Hue stuff, but Siri regularly says the devices aren't available or gets stuck as you say. Whenever I launch the Hue app everything works, so the issue isn't with the communication between my phone and the hub; it's Siri/Homekit.

I tend to stick with the Hue app and certainly won't be buying anything else just because it says it works with Homekit.

hg.wells

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2013
Also remember even if you do move to another platform you are still going to need the devices app to perform device updates.

Reactions: steve knight

Zonck

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 27, 2020
I
Also remember even if you do move to another platform you are still going to need the devices app to perform device updates.
I’m eying up Google. Sure I’ll need a Google account but the thermostat, doorbell, smoke alarm, indoor camera, outdoor camera are all first party so I need one account, one app.

To do the same with HomeKit would likely need another app for each product.

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
I keep coming around to the idea that HomeKit might not be the one for me anymore and was wondering if anyone else felt the same?

I am unable to find decent products (doorbells, I’m looking at you) the products I do find all seem to require their own app or cloud service and when Siri does decide to work she just tells me she’s perpetually ‘working on it..’
Eve seem to be going God’s work and single handle producing solid HomeKit products. WHY aren’t Apple producing a first party line of products ala Google Nest (where all you need is one google account), I’ll never know.

At the risk of this being more of a rant than a constructive thread, is anyone else feeling the same and has anyone any experience of other assistants? Though I think I’d rather burn my house down than get an Alexa.

Alternatively, is there anything people are thinking with ‘save’ it, that isn’t Matter which right now seems like bit of a Potemkin village.

Absolutely yes. It’s an absolute s***show since 15! Apple should be embarrassed by how crap it is now.

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Jan 28, 2009
we used Smarting for many years it was not perfect but it was pretty reliable. especially when we came and go. but a update totally killed it andI could not get it to work so I changed over. HomeKit in some ways better in a lot of ways not. I found workaround fore the doors o unlock when we come home but HomeKit never notices when we leave so we always have to tell Siri goodbye. I have found routines vanish once in awhile Siri never learns as we say the same thing every day and about 1/2 the time she gets it wrong. its worse with HomePod.

dotme

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Iowa
...I can’t always access the cameras in homekit, tiles in Home return ‘No Response’, I’m now getting constant account issues with the HomePods...
You may have network issues. To explain further... Apple's approach to privacy means that 100% of Home commands/communications between HomeKit hubs and iDevices and your HomeKit accessories do not leave your network.

With Google and Alexa, as long as each device can see the Cloud, things work because everything goes to the cloud and back. With HomeKit, devices and hubs need to see each other because of the above - and if you have a network that isolates devices (prevents them from talking to one another or blocks protocols like mDNS/Bonjour) or treats WiFi and Ethernet as different networks, you end up with No Response errors and other problems.

My home is set up a lot like @Calumma - I rarely use Siri because everything lighting-wise is fully automated. I also have 3 Airport Extremes with wired backhauls. I have upwards of 90 accessories. Never see "No Response" errors. HomeKit is solid - but network equipment (WiFi routers etc) can get in the way if not correctly configured. Hope this helps.

@adrianlondon HomeKit uses HAP (HomeKit Accessory Protocol) on top of TCP/IP to talk to the bridge. Again if your routers/network equipment block mDNS/Bonjour type traffic between nodes, that could explain why the Hue app can talk to the Hue bridge but the Home app seems to have trouble.

Zonck

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 27, 2020
You may have network issues. To explain further... Apple's approach to privacy means that 100% of Home commands/communications between HomeKit hubs and iDevices and your HomeKit accessories do not leave your network.

With Google and Alexa, as long as each device can see the Cloud, things work because everything goes to the cloud and back. With HomeKit, devices and hubs need to see each other because of the above - and if you have a network that isolates devices (prevents them from talking to one another or blocks protocols like mDNS/Bonjour) or treats WiFi and Ethernet as different networks, you end up with No Response errors and other problems.

My home is set up a lot like @Calumma - I rarely use Siri because everything lighting-wise is fully automated. I also have 3 Airport Extremes with wired backhauls. I have upwards of 90 accessories. Never see "No Response" errors. HomeKit is solid - but network equipment (WiFi routers etc) can get in the way if not correctly configured. Hope this helps.
This could be it, I've been on the phone to Apple support and the chap was explaining that the HomePods don't work with the 5Ghz band.

So, we've removed my HomePods from my account and HomeKit set up and started readding them as they pull the initial Network connection from the phone on set up only to be hit by perpetual Log In error when trying to set up the HomePod mini. So Now I have to go to the Apple Store in 2 hours time.

I think I'm just going to ask for my money back.

dotme

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Iowa
This could be it, I've been on the phone to Apple support and the chap was explaining that the HomePods don't work with the 5Ghz band.

So, we've removed my HomePods from my account and HomeKit set up and started readding them as they pull the initial Network connection from the phone on set up only to be hit by perpetual Log In error when trying to set up the HomePod mini. So Now I have to go to the Apple Store in 2 hours time.

I don't blame you for being frustrated. The feature that makes HomeKit more private than other platforms also doesn't run out of the box on some networks. It's enough to drive people crazy.

That Apple Support guy is flat-out wrong. I own 14 HomePods - 9 OGs and 5 Minis - and all are connected to my 5GHz network. For reference I use the same SSID and Password on both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks at my place, and leave it to each device to sort out what works best. The key is that my network is "flat" where all devices whether ethernet, 2.4 or 5, can see all other devices, and mDNS isn't blocked. So before giving up, it might be worth a search online for your router make/model along with HomeKit as a keyword and see if you can find any tips that relate to your specific network gear.

Reactions: dustin_

Zonck

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 27, 2020
My SSID set up is the same as yours. I'd have to go check the router but a quick google suggests most people are having to turn beam forming off? Just seems quite a scatter gun approach.

I think he was wrong, yeah but now I am being sent to Apple as he couldn't help me anymore and I can no longer log into this HomePod mini. Yet my OG HomePod I set up in a heart beat. Both setting up with the same phone, both on the same network, both on the 2.4Ghz band.

Hey, remember when Apple things used to ' Just work'

BobRey77

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2021

The Apple support chap is misinformed. I have four HomePods running fine on 5Ghz. Don't screw around trying to move everything to 2.4Gzh as that could easily make things worse. Let your router sort things out as it sees fit. btw, wifi coverage could be the underlying issue with your network.

Last edited:

SalisburySam

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2019
Salisbury, North Carolina
HomeKit and the Home app work well for a number of people, but for me? Not so much. Devices that tout compatibility don't actually have it (my Rachio3 irrigation controller, for example), others work almost always (WeMo wall switch), the rest work for awhile and the for whatever reason want to be disconnected and reconnected to power (all my dozen or so iHome smart plugs), and so on. Not really a big deal for most, but I've put those plugs in places not easily accessed like behind furniture so un- and re-plugging them isn't straightforward. In some cases, I just turn the circuit breaker off and then on again but that's doable only for certain circuits that don't have clocks on them or other things I'd rather not have to also reset. I have an eero mesh network with six eeroPro's, and an iPadPro and Apple TV4K (1st Gen) for hubs.

TL;DR - yeah, HomeKit and Home are iffy and unreliable for me.

Reactions: WP31

malcky77

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2019
Yup, that Apple person is flat out wrong.....My home wifi network is split into 2 SSID's....1 for the 2.4Ghz band and 1 for the 5Ghz band......and as it happens, every wifi device in my house (including 4 OG HomePods) are connected to the 5Ghz network....I only keep the 2.4Ghz SSID going now incase any visitors come with an older device that is NOT 5GHZ capable.

Last edited:

johnrevay

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2022
HUMMM
I recently have not been feeling the love as well - just seems as many big name vendors are not rolling out HK products - or they are slow to do so....

But that said - my set up is currently working - just fine

>> 8 Lutron Caseta switches (combination of dimmers and on/offs) + many more PICOs - I think Lutron makes a rock solid line of products - not cheap but rock solid

>>Honeywell T10Pro - thermostat - it controls High efficiency - multistage gas furnace, AC and it also controls a Honeywell steam humidifier, + it has ability to add room sensors (Temp, occupancy & Humidity) - which I added and is informative (basement)

>> Lift master three Garage doors - I needed to add LM Home bridge - which was a pain to configure ...but now that it is - it just works great - I control the doors (3) & the Lift master LED Lights (3)via HK

>>Purchased - but have not installed Logi - two circle view cameras and one circle door bell (just have not had the time to do so) + I have a two chime setup and the circle doorbell does not play well with that - watching to see when Netamo gets their doorbell to be compatible with the apple cloud video

Network - YES I have same ID for both 2.4 & 5GHZ - running on three apple airport extremes / expresses - planning to move to eero 6Pluses ...but may return them as I think they are coming out w/ 6E later this year

Hubs - Apple TV (latest version) along a Lutron one + Liftmaster one above

I use Homekit as the front end ...and do any special configs on the apps (Setback temp on Honeywell home app , Light timers on Lutron app, garage door naming on myQ

Generally works (Well!) - just worried that some day Apple says they are discontinuing Homekit support

Last edited:

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
I’m starting to consider a move away from HomeKit. It’s just not reliable. My wife hates it. Most of my stuff would be compatible with Google so I’m starting to about it. It‘s been very disappointing.
I only have an Eve thermometer and humidity sensor along with several LIFX lightbulbs. Originally the lightbulbs were unreliable but for the last year or two everything works well. I have one other switch but it currently isn’t being used. I’m fairly happy with HomeKit & Siri at the moment.

mandolindan

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2011
I would like to see Apple introduce a air-extreme pro max or whatever they want to call it. It should be prioritized for Homekit, security and privacy. Yes Siri is a Chatty Cathy, very annoying. My HK products work most of the time, sometimes I just want to crush them when they misbehave. I’m running a AirPort Extreme Base, however I can’t stand the thought of google on my network, macbooks or mini’s. Apple would you please spend a little less time on social agendas and a little more time on electronics? Thank you.

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
@adrianlondon HomeKit uses HAP (HomeKit Accessory Protocol) on top of TCP/IP to talk to the bridge. Again if your routers/network equipment block mDNS/Bonjour type traffic between nodes, that could explain why the Hue app can talk to the Hue bridge but the Home app seems to have trouble.
Thanks for that info; I'll do some digging.

rillrill

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2011
New York
Really do yr homework on Google's home automation before switching. I've had both Google Home/Nest stuff and HomeKit stuff. HomeKit is more reliable, IMO. I do think it heavily has to do with the strength and speed of your wifi network, but I also not that HomeKit is FAR from perfect. I also have the wife/kids-factor, and you really can't get too Rick Moranis without disrupting the whole household. I just stopped buying a lot of the devices and would rather wait until the software gets better.

Here's my rating of the HomeKit gear I have:

Ecobee Thermostats: 10/10 (I need two...don't ask. I previous had the Honeywell Smart Thermostats and they SUCKED. They would always be disconnected. The Ecobee have been solid.)
Logitech Doorbell: 8/10 (not bad - I would like a continuous recording feature)
Level Doorlocks: 6.5/10 (mostly because they jam or get stuck when the weather changes drastically. Nothing's worse than when you hear yr wife pounding on the front door because it jammed. :oops: HOWEVER, these work with yr normal key, so you can always get in, not that she wants to hear that when she's use to just opening the door. I like smart home stuff that works like dumb home stuff the best)
Logitech Camera - the first one to get HKSV: 8/10 (it got better after the HKSV update)
Netatmo Security Camera: 6.5/10 (mostly good, but over the summer there was a software update that broke it for a few weeks before I noticed...sort of defeats the purpose of a security camera...after much annoying troubleshooting I got it working again...)
Philips Hue: 6/10 (just inconstant network drops - and lame that they need a hub)
Nanoleaf Bulbs: 10/10 (awesome)
Wemo Smartplugs: -1,000,000/10 (just don't)
Smart Air Purifiers: 4/10 (random drops from Home app)
Meross Smart Lamp: 9/10 (works surprisingly well, but it's cheap and the light's not great)
Onvis Smart Motion/Temperature sensors: 7/10 (this work ok - had a sick automation that detected the humidity level in my basement and turned on the dehumidifier when it got too high - but then an iOS update broke it. I mostly use them to check on the temperature of the kid's bedrooms).

Apple HomeKit Gear:

2 Apple TVs 4K versions
2 HomePod Minis

captrlp

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2012
Is Homekit perfect, no. Is it reliable…I’d say 99% uptime in my use case, which is more than acceptable.
I have over 130 Homekit devices and also run Hoobs for occupancy control and a few other plugins.
My entire home is automated…lights, door locks, garage door, security etc.
I have tested dozens of routers, homekit sensors etc, and quickly determined the biggest issue isn’t homekit, it’s the hardware that can be the bottleneck and cause Homekit problems.
With the upcoming release of Thread devices, HomeKit will only get better.
More importantly, the pending release of Matter and Matter hardware, it will provide a plethora of options.
Google and Amazon devices require cloud access for functionality…which directly equates to security and privacy issues. If Google and Amazon already don’t have enough information, why use their hardware which gives them even more access to your life?
Homekit is and will always be the most secure option.

Reactions: dotme

vbctv

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2013
Cleveland, OH
I love HomeKit still. I used both Google and Alexa in the past and left both for Apple HomeKit. Yes, Google is smarter and Alexa has way more stuff available to it. But HomeKit is by far the most secure. Apple HomeKit Secure Video is also amazing and included in iCloud+. Even with other cameras like Wyze or Amazon's own Blink, you have to pay separate for the service. Apple includes it in what I already pay for.

Now that's not to say I don't have issues, but most are to blame on router updates. I use the Eero pro 6 and Eero has had some bad updates recently.
Give up on LIFX Bulbs if you have them, that's my advice, they are awful with Homekit. Tons of device not responding or can't find device or you don't have a homekit accessory set-up yet.
I switched over to Nanoleaf Essentials and Meross stuff. Have never had an issue with either. I have 4 Nanoleaf bulbs, 3 Meross Plug and 2 Meross Smart Lamps. All work 100%. I do get the occasional 'You're device is taking a while to respond' but it's usually responds the minute it says that which I find funny...
Now I also have 3 LIFX light strips, and I have NOT had any issues with them at all. As I said above the bulbs suck and hate Homekit, but the light strips work. I think it's a part or controller issue with the bulbs, I even had LIFX replace my bulbs at one point before I switched bulbs to Nanoleaf and it didn't help. So my advice is just stay away from LIFX bulbs, there is a reason why Apple dropped LIFX products in-store and online.
And my Eufy 2K cameras always work, never an issue, never stop responding. I have zones and facial recognition set-up in HomeKit.
Now I do have 6 HomePods in house, 4 minis & 2 OG's. And also 3 Apple TV's It could also be why I don't have issues.

I have zero plans to leave HomeKit and I actually hope we start seeing more accessories brands come to HomeKit. But anyone who has issues, it's likely 100% router based or not enough HomePods or Apple TV's to act as hubs. I would recommend getting a HomeKit Router like the Eero, because you do know then that it should work for HomeKit.

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
Give up on LIFX Bulbs if you have them, that's my advice, they are awful with Homekit. Tons of device not responding or can't find device or you don't have a homekit accessory set-up yet.
When was the last time you tried them? Recently my LIFX bulbs have been nearly 100% reliable. That definitely wasn't the case previously but they seem to have worked out the kinks in their HomeKit integration.

vbctv

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2013
Cleveland, OH
When was the last time you tried them? Recently my LIFX bulbs have been nearly 100% reliable. That definitely wasn't the case previously but they seem to have worked out the kinks in their HomeKit integration.
Probably 6 months ago when I switched to Nanoleaf Essentials...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.