Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Meindert

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 13, 2017
Thailand
I am thinking to purchase a M2 SSD but can not find the bracket that I need to place the M.2 SSD into my Mac-mini 2011
Anyone who knows where to buy this replacement item ?

Thank you
Meindert

treekram

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2015
Honolulu HI
If you look on an Amazon site, you should be able to find something. If you can't order from a particular Amazon site, you can get product names/models and read reviews. Search for "M2 to sata enclosure". Something like the following (I have no experience with it):
https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-2-5-Inch-Aluminum-Enclosure-EC-M2SA/dp/B01N6PMZLW

You should get a product which is meant to permanently house the SSD vs. one which is used to temporarily hold the SSD for data transfer.

Just be aware of the following:
1) You need a M.2 SATA SSD (not PCIe-NVMe or PCIe-AHCI) SSD.
2) It's very unlikely that Apple will use M.2 SATA in future products.
3) In general M.2 SATA isn't any faster than regular SATA although there may be some models where a feature is available with M.2 that isn't with regular SATA.

Meindert

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 13, 2017
Thailand
Thank you for the information Just wanted to get more information and heard it was a lot faster but I will check it out and do some more reading.
Found on Amazon indeed already some more stuff to read and perhaps learn.

treekram

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2015
Honolulu HI
I forgot to mention - make sure you get something no taller than 7mm (the Sabrent is 7mm).

By your comments, you're probably thinking about PCIe NVMe/AHCI which also uses the M.2 connector. These can be several times faster than SATA but cannot be used in the Mini. You can put a PCIe NVMe SSD in a Thunderbolt enclosure but with the 2011 Mini, it will be less than twice as fast and cost quite a bit of money (plus it will require use of the DisplayPort/Thunderbolt connector).

errin

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2007
M.2 Sata SSD is not faster than 2.5" Sata SSD which mostly cheaper than M.2 Sata.

Since your Mini only support Sata Connector why don't you use 2.5" SSD instead?

Reactions: Celerondon

ApolloBoy

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2015
San Jose, CA
Since your Mini only support Sata Connector why don't you use 2.5" SSD instead?
Plus it's cheaper buying a 2.5" drive compared to an M.2 SSD and a SATA adapter. I don't understand why you'd want to use an M.2 drive unless you had one laying around.

Meindert

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 13, 2017
Thailand
I need it as fast as possible because of CAD/CAM and and FINAL CUT Video editing both needing a bit of power but what I read here makes that I will put in the max RAM (now 12GB will upgrade to 16GB) and get perhaps an extra SSD.

Because I am new to both Mac and this forum I want to thank people who advised me and helped.

Thank you to all
Meindert

Kcetech1

macrumors 6502
Nov 24, 2016
Alberta Canada
I need it as fast as possible because of CAD/CAM and and FINAL CUT Video editing both needing a bit of power but what I read here makes that I will put in the max RAM (now 12GB will upgrade to 16GB) and get perhaps an extra SSD.

Because I am new to both Mac and this forum I want to thank people who advised me and helped.

Thank you to all
Meindert

put a standard 2.5" 7mm SATA SSD in there, your mini does not support newer interfaces directly. you wont get the speed of an M2 unless you hackintosh a NUC

Meindert

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 13, 2017
Thailand
I have also fantastic support from Apple and it may be that there is something wrong with one of my memory banks and Yes I will go for an extra SSD and wait what the tech guys at Apple say based on the error report. I have to say that the response here and also at Apple is something that makes me regret that I waited so long changing to Apple.......

Meindert

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.