Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RevToTheRedline

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 27, 2007
I've had my Nikon D80 a little over a year now, and have not done anything about the screen protection, like most Nikons it comes with a basic plastic cover, which got scratched within the first month, and has just gotten worse (scratches on my shirt while the camera is around my neck) So I started searching for screen protection options and I found a some what new product from Giottos made with a very high quality thin piece of Schott glass, protected with 12-layers of EYBOLD German UV anti-reflective coating. The only problem I find is there are very limited reviews, I can only find basic user reviews on B&H photo, and for the most part everyone except one person has been highly satisfied. That one persons negative review was some what stupid, as he said he threw it in the garbage cause he couldn't clean it.

Does anyone have experience with this product, I'm really interested. http://www.giottos.com/SP.htm

Here is a picture I found of someone comparing it with Invisible Shield
Giotto_Shieldzone_comparo.jpg

epicwelshman

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2006
Nassau, Bahamas
That actually looks quite intriguing. My D40x has no scratches yet (from what I can tell) but it doesn't have a protective cover, and it's only a matter of time...

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
It sounds like a great idea, but the devil will be in the (manufacturing) details. If those anti-glare coatings are easily scratched, then it doesn't matter what type of glass the cover is made of.

When I bought my second to last pair of eyeglasses, I paid for the add-on anti-scratch coating and the anti-glare coating. Unfortunately it turned out the anti-glare coating scratched really easily; and being on top of the anti-scratch coating meant the lenses got terribly scratched within about 9 months - having the anti-scratch coating basically accomplished nothing.

Fortunately they were able to remove the anti-glare coating, which resolved the problem. But if I were to purchase one of these covers, it'd be specifically because my current solution (the plastic cover that came with my D70) doesn't work well in bright light - so how those anti-glare coatings hold up matters.

RevToTheRedline

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 27, 2007
It sounds like a great idea, but the devil will be in the (manufacturing) details. If those anti-glare coatings are easily scratched, then it doesn't matter what type of glass the cover is made of.

When I bought my second to last pair of eyeglasses, I paid for the add-on anti-scratch coating and the anti-glare coating. Unfortunately it turned out the anti-glare coating scratched really easily; and being on top of the anti-scratch coating meant the lenses got terribly scratched within about 9 months - having the anti-scratch coating basically accomplished nothing.

Fortunately they were able to remove the anti-glare coating, which resolved the problem. But if I were to purchase one of these covers, it'd be specifically because my current solution (the plastic cover that came with my D70) doesn't work well in bright light - so how those anti-glare coatings hold up matters.

The thing right now holding me back is exactly what you stated, and at $35 (without shipping) for D80 kit, it's not something I want to buy and have last a week, I dunno about you but I don't have $35 to throw away.

jlcharles

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2006
Wenonah, NJ
I can understand the complaint about cleaning. I got the anti-glare coating on a pair of glasses once. I took them back in a week because all I could do was smear it. It wouldn't come clean.

RevToTheRedline

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 27, 2007
I ordered it. The 12 layer coated one. Seems a lot of people that use it over on DP Review forums love it.

RevToTheRedline

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 27, 2007
The package came this morning and I hopped right onto the install. Top quality product, no trouble installing it, definitely looks like a factory install... When I got back inside I had to double check if the top screen protector was still on there, it looks just like it did before.

1602091592_f9855cac2a_b.jpg

1602093448_16ed2b5958_b.jpg

1601620359_60af1e22f3_b.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.