Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

grizzlybrice

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 10, 2005
Playa Del Rey, CA
I saw that it is available on amazon.com right now, so cheap too for what it is (sub $250). I was wondering if anyone knew anyone who had it, and if they could post some images, or links to images for my perusal. It's pretty new, and I didn't think it was out until May (or it still could be and amazon is lying to me;) ).

Thanks!

gB

oh, the link to amazon is: http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-55-200m...6?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1177116627&sr=8-1

I know it's a mostly plastic "kit"-esque lens, but I am just curious.

Veritas&Equitas

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Twin Cities, MN
Yes, I do have it. I love it! For the price, it's darn near unbeatable. I agree with everything Rockwell and Hogan wrote. I'll get some pics up later...but if you are on the edge about it, get it. It's awesome for the price (I just can't afford the 18-200vr right now).

GoGoSamGo

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2007
I've been considering this lens to be my first upgrade lens when my camera comes in. I just purchased a Nikon D40, and really have been look at the 18-200 vr, but I won't be able to afford that for a very long time, so I've really been considering this one instead, still going to think about it first though.

grizzlybrice

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 10, 2005
Playa Del Rey, CA
Yeah, I'm a graduating college student, and all my money is gonna be going to housing, food, and paying off those pesky student loans, so I'm pretty tight on extra budgets, hence when seeing this new cheaper VR lens with new tech and glass from Nikon, it piqued my interest.

No pictures or reviews anywhere still. Not a review of the actual released lens yet anyways (I can only find the pre-release review on kenrockwell.com....

gB

Fearless Leader

macrumors 68020
Mar 21, 2006
Hoosiertown
wait im really freakin confused, I've had this lens for a year. the only difference is the VR :confused:

edit: whoops im sorry im an idiot.
Anyways I like an older version of it.

stcanard

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
Vancouver
anyone got some shots?

490389623_43c1c680fc.jpg

Camera: Nikon D80
Exposure: Manual
Focal Length: 200 mm (55-200 VR)
Aperture: F/8.0
Shutter: 1 / 180
ISO: 100

This one's handheld at 1/180, and has been cropped from its original size (3900 x 2613) to the current size (1927 x 1300). I was quite pleased with the detail that came out in the feathers -- I don't think I could have cropped as much without the VR.

So far I quite like the lens -- it is a bit slower to focus than the 18 - 70 kit lens, but compared to a digicam its still quite fast. The inability to do a manual focus tweak while on auto is annoying though.

stcanard

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
Vancouver
Is this true? I thought all AF-S lenses allowed manual override - that's one of my favorite features?!

Unfortunately true :( When you put the lens on auto it locks the focus ring. I think (don't have one to confirm) the non-VR version is the same.

My list of complaints on the lens--

1. The focus is a bit slow, but it would only really affect you if you are trying to shoot action shots. My first night with it I was trying to shoot a soccer match from the stands, and I found I had to be prepared at the right range. (But realistically I would want a faster lens for action anyway; I don't see it as a drawback for my intended purpose -- its more than sufficient for anything that will still be there 5 seconds after you set up the shot)

2. The lack of the manual override -- annoying, but I can deal with it because full manual still works.

3. It is plastic, and noticeably lighter than the 18 - 70 kit lens. I'm pretty easy on my lenses, I don't think it will be a serious concern. I do find the light weight an advantage by the end of a day of shooting though!

On the plus side, I find the range the perfect compliment for the kit lens - just enough overlap I can set up in advance and not be swapping back and forth. I've only been shooting with it for a week (that's why I don't have much more to post, I'll try again next week), but I find it sharp enough, especially considering the price point.

I find the VR is giving me about two extra stops. Enough for things like sunset photos that I would have been able to get before, or to do a tighter crop of something a little beyond the reach of the lens.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
I think (don't have one to confirm) the non-VR version is the same.

You are right - I just looked at Thom Hogan's review of the previous iteration.

I suppose it isn't a huge deal; but whenever I tell people about how great AF-S lenses are, that's one of the reasons I mention. I'm gonna have to stop doing that, I guess. :D

From the cropped photo you provided it looks like it's quite sharp.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.