Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Woochifer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 22, 2007
Our Mac at home is stuck on OS X 10.7.5, so we're also stuck on an older version of iTunes. Starting yesterday, I started seeing an error message that I could not connect to iTunes Match and trying to access the iTunes Store also gives an error message.

I also received a connection error message when I tried connecting using my work PC (Win 7). On that computer, I stay with iTunes 12.6.3 because I use it to backup our older iOS devices that cannot be updated beyond iOS 9.3.5 and offload photos from those devices. I just upgraded the PC to iTunes 12.7.5, and it works.

From what I've seen on Apple Community discussions, it seems that Apple has disabled access to the iTunes Store from pre OSX 10.8 devices, as well as older versions of iTunes. Is this something that was preplanned, or did they just switch the setting and cut us all off?

amack

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2006
Northern Ireland
Yes, running 10.7.5 and iTunes 12.2.2 and getting the 9836 error code. Contacted Apple via email and am waiting to see what they say. Hope they haven’t cut the service to older machines, I can’t afford a new one right now.

Partron22

macrumors 68030
Apr 13, 2011
Yes
I'm running iTunes 10.4.1 under MacOS 10.13.4, and can access and sign in to the iTunes store without a problem.
I do also have a copy of iTunes 12.7.5 on the Mac, installed after 10.4.1. It works fine with the store as well.
So the problem is likely not with iTunes itself, but with some of the ancillary store and match files that get installed with the newer version.
Obviously, I'm using the latest ancillary files, but old versions of iTunes seem not to care.

There used to be software to spoof installers that they were running on a different Mac than was really the case.
If those are still around, you may have a path to getting functionality back while keeping your older version of iTunes.

Reactions: mikzn

mikzn

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2013
North Vancouver
did not know you could run 10.4.1 on High Sierra - cool

I am running itunes 12.6.3.6 - what is the reason to stay on 10.4.1? was there a feature that was dropped after that?
[doublepost=1527975542][/doublepost]
I also received a connection error message when I tried connecting using my work PC (Win 7). On that computer, I stay with iTunes 12.6.3 because I use it to backup our older iOS devices that cannot be updated beyond iOS 9.3.5 and offload photos from those devices. I just upgraded the PC to iTunes 12.7.5, and it works.

I am also using 12.6.3.6 and no issues logging into iTunes store so may not be due to the version of iTunes? not sure since i am on Sierra not Lion 10.7 as you are?

That said, the 12.6.3.6 was a special version and has since been replaced with another special version 12.6.4 might worth checking it out? I have not tried it yet.

Last edited:

sfphoto

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2010
We have Snow Leopard on all our office machines and iTunes 11.3 - working just fine.

Partron22

macrumors 68030
Apr 13, 2011
Yes
what is the reason to stay on 10.4.1?
At 10.7.whatever, it starts asking about your internet connection every time you open iTunes.
10 was the last version that allows you to open multiple playlist windows, see album art at greater than 512X512 resolution. It does not have an "up next" playlist, so when you want to hear something, you can just search and click.
It doesn't ask you to sign into store all the time, or recommend music or put things in cloud, or sync.
It also runs under 10.5, which is the limit on my oldest, 2005, mini.
10.4, or 10.7 is a much cleaner, less intrusive interface than what we're supposed to be saddled with now.
I keep the latest version around too so as I can talk to newer Apple devices.

Reactions: mikzn

mikzn

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2013
North Vancouver
At 10.7.whatever, it starts asking about your internet connection every time you open iTunes.
10 was the last version that allows you to open multiple playlist windows, see album art at greater than 512X512 resolution. It does not have an "up next" playlist, so when you want to hear something, you can just search and click.
It doesn't ask you to sign into store all the time, or recommend music or put things in cloud, or sync.
10.4, or 10.7 is a much cleaner, less intrusive interface than what we're supposed to be saddled with now.

thanks - I played around with a few older versions recently - even went back to OS9 and gave SoundJam a spin LOL

I have iTunes 9.2 on a Mac G5 and it can still connect with sharing to iTunes 12.6.4.3 which is nice

Ultimately after getting a new iPhone 8 that had OS11 I decided to move my iPad to OS11 and found out the the recent iTunes update to 12.6.4.3 was an update to app syncing for OS11 devices so this seems to work for updating apps on multiple devices and syncing playlists and selected photo albums.

But I do like the cleaner layout and larger album artwork display on the older versions of iTunes

AoxoA

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2016
Austin, Texas

I got iTunes 10.7 to work on Yosemite, El Capitan, Sierra and High Sierra. Might also work on Mojave (but I haven’t tested it yet).

You won't lose Mac App Store’s (MAS) functionality either. https://aoxoa.co/downgrade-revert-from-itunes-12-to-itunes-10-7/

Partron22

macrumors 68030
Apr 13, 2011
Yes
I got iTunes 10.7 to work on Yosemite, El Capitan, Sierra and High Sierra.
I got iTunes 10.4.1 running under Mojave. I don't like Mojave, so I went back to High Sierra and my combo iTunes 10.4.1, 10.6.3 is still working great.
I do wish Apple would tell us why they want us all to switch to APFS. I just don't see it, so I'll probably hold back on a new mac at least until the Pro comes out. Recent software/hardware updates have been far less than impressive. Perhaps that'll change when they put out the Pro. Of course, the darn thing will cost as much as my original 128k, 1984, Macintosh. Fortunately I've already got keyboards, displays, and all the little toys up the wazoo, so there's not another $1000 in doodads required.

AoxoA

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2016
Austin, Texas
I got iTunes 10.4.1 running under Mojave. I don't like Mojave, so I went back to High Sierra and my combo iTunes 10.4.1, 10.6.3 is still working great.

It is lame that Mojave automatically converts regular HDD to APSF. There are probably hacks or work-arounds to this though.

......I'll probably hold back on a new mac at least until the Pro comes out....

My plan too.

Reactions: Partron22

maverick28

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2014
I love every newer iTunes a lot less than every older. When I bought my Mac it arrived with Lion with iTunes 10.6.3 which I use now and have 2 newer OSes (see my signature) for compatibility, but frankly since iTunes 12.0.0.0 of which the newest for Lion is 12.2.2 the software went downhill in terms of usability. All these cries about "bloated" aside, I love how I was able to manage apps, books and all downloaded content via iTunes, didn't see it as such, but iTunes 12 has some really horrible UI, standing in my way and Music.app is a complete fiasco (ran Catalina for 3 hours from the ext. SSD before returning to High Sierra on the newest edge of my software payload). Completely agree that iTunes 10 was and is much cleaner, and also much warmer on feelings.
Sadly the error 9836 returned since this Friday both in iTunes 10 and 11, rendering Genius unusable. I also cannot preview songs but can watch video podcasts. I think this is for good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.