Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Todashi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 27, 2022
So my iPhone 15 Pro Max running iOS17 is doing something erratic. When I connect it to my car, it seems to work fine - Carplay fires up and I can use navigation and podcasts etc.

But Siri isn't working properly. When I trigger it from the button on the steeering wheel, the icon comes up on the display but it doesn't seem to hear or respond to my voice. After a while, it times out and turns off.

And if I make a call, it seems to work but the other person can't hear me. I end up having to set the phone to speaker mode.

Anyone see this, or know what's up. The phone says it's fully up to date with 17.0.3

Akbar Karim

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2023
It sounds like a Bluetooth issue between your iPhone and car stereo. First, check Bluetooth settings on both and make sure the car is still paired properly with your phone. Forget the device and repair if needed. Also try toggling Bluetooth off and on again to reset the connection.

If the problem persists, it could be a bug in the latest iOS update that's impacting Bluetooth functionality. You may need to wait for Apple to release a fix in a future software update. As a workaround, use wired CarPlay with a USB cable instead of wireless for now. That should resolve any microphone or calling problems.

Todashi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 27, 2022
Sorry, I should have said that it's wired Carplay, not wireless. It's directly connected with a USB-c to USB-A cable from Apple. No bluetooth involved.

AlecEdworthy

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2007
Leicestershire, UK
Sounds like the microphone in your car isn't working or isn't passing the audio to the iPhone. If you connect with Bluetooth (with the USB lead disconnected) and place a phone call using the car's Bluetooth as the input can the called party hear you?

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Agreed, microphone obviously isn't working. Could be a hardware or a software issue, either on the phone or in the car. But there's no "Generic" microphone-not-working issue with CarPlay that I've encountered or heard of.

Todashi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 27, 2022
Thanks everyone. Turned out to be a car-related thing. Problem corrected itself after the car battery ran down (!!) and had to be jumped and restarted. Resolved the issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.