Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eldiablojoe

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2009
West Koast
My iPhone 6, running iOS 9.2.1, does a very strange battery thing.

First off, I'm happy to share that my phone's battery sucks. I pretty much leave it plugged in now whenever I can.

Sometimes the battery charge depletion is super rapid! On several occasions, my iPhone has gone from battery charge in the upper 20 to lower 30 percent range, then immediately down to zero and bricks. Plugging it back in, the battery charge indicator reflects low 20 or low 30 percent range after only 10 seconds of charge.

WTF is going on?

I pretty much now treat 50% like 5%. When my iPhone gets to 50%, I'm now desperately running around looking for a charger to get get it back up into 75-100% safe zone.

Thanks!
[doublepost=1455988236][/doublepost]It should be noted I have never jailbroken my iPhone, I regularly shut down all the background running apps and do re-boots on a regular basis (weekly or bi-weekly). I've also run my battery to zero via use since I've had this issue. Nothing seems to change it.

Reactions: PowerBook-G5

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
There is an app called Battery Doc by Pilcrow AG (careful, there are a lot of similarly named apps) that shows the number of cycles your battery has been through. As far as I know it's the only one.

It won't solve your problem but for a few bucks it might give you an indication if your battery is just completely knackered.

posguy99

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2004
Sometimes the battery charge depletion is super rapid! On several occasions, my iPhone has gone from battery charge in the upper 20 to lower 30 percent range, then immediately down to zero and bricks. Plugging it back in, the battery charge indicator reflects low 20 or low 30 percent range after only 10 seconds of charge.

<shrug> The battery has a bad cell. Don't know why people have such a problem with this. Have it replaced.

Reactions: willmtaylor

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Nov 15, 2012
My coworker has this problems with his 6s. He said reimage worked (highly doubt it as software) but he said reimage worked so good for him lol. I told him to get a replacement.

canuckRus

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2014

First off, I'm happy to share that my phone's battery sucks. I pretty much leave it plugged in now whenever I can.

WTF is going on?
Take it in to Apple. Perhaps the issue falls under warranty coverage which at this point in time might be covered by your CC.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Alexrat1996

ImDoubleD

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2015

WTF is going on?

I pretty much now treat 50% like 5%. When my iPhone gets to 50%, I'm now desperately running around looking for a charger to get get it back up into 75-100% safe zone.

Thanks!
[doublepost=1455988236][/doublepost]It should be noted I have never jailbroken my iPhone, I regularly shut down all the background running apps and do re-boots on a regular basis (weekly or bi-weekly). I've also run my battery to zero via use since I've had this issue. Nothing seems to change it.

Yes, mine is doing the same. I did a complete reset and restore and it didn't help. I did take it to the Apple Store and the battery was great. Looking at usage it showed FB and Snapchat were hogging battery in the background. Not sure how that got turned on because I turned it off. Turned them off again and reset settings and it seemed to help for two days. Then it started again and had one night it dropped to 1% at 5:30 and it still lasted 4 more hours, at 1%. I checked usage again and FB was major this time. Checked updates and it was 8 days old since updated. Close to the same time I started having issues. I deleted FB on Sunday night and yesterday was a good day. Today was good until I was around 39% and it suddenly jumped to 21%. Now at 15%.

I noticed there was a FB update on my iPad but have not reinstalled it on the phone so I can keep testing it.

This really sucks!!

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Can you live without Facebook and snap chat for a week just to see if some of your other issues are resolved?

Regardless of the app running it shouldn't drop you from 20% to 0 in background processes instantly, so you can at least diagnose that.

I don't use snap chat but I do know there are some settings for notifications in the desktop site that I personally had to change. I didn't want to notified wheneve anyone posts in various groups in in as that caused me to get virtually endless notifications.

MrAverigeUser

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2015
europe
There is an app called Battery Doc by Pilcrow AG (careful, there are a lot of similarly named apps) that shows the number of cycles your battery has been through. As far as I know it's the only one.

It won't solve your problem but for a few bucks it might give you an indication if your battery is just completely knackered.

More easily to use coconut battery app:
You can install it on your mac to iagnose your mac's battery, but also connect your IOS-devices to have diagnosis of their batteries. Coconut battery is free.

Things like push-services and others that need permanent use of WiFi, Bluetooth or cellphone data transfer are wasting battery life cycles.

Since i use still IOS7 i am not sure, but if I rcall correctly, IOS8 and 9 have the option tomdiagnose very precisely which app is consuming what amount of battery capacity. Just use this way of diagnosis.

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
More easily to use coconut battery app:
You can install it on your mac to iagnose your mac's battery, but also connect your IOS-devices to have diagnosis of their batteries. Coconut battery is free.

Things like push-services and others that need permanent use of WiFi, Bluetooth or cellphone data transfer are wasting battery life cycles.

Since i use still IOS7 i am not sure, but if I rcall correctly, IOS8 and 9 have the option tomdiagnose very precisely which app is consuming what amount of battery capacity. Just use this way of diagnosis.

The majority of people who own iPhones / iPads don't own Macs.

MrAverigeUser

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2015
europe
The majority of people who own iPhones / iPads don't own Macs.

If they don't own macs, they own PCs. If you own PCs, you will Have most of your important data outside apple's ridiculous walled garden and so far be free to backup whoever you want to.
At least you can transfer your most important data on the iPhone transfer in "notes" or other apps and then transfer them as a simple text or pdf or whatever using email to whatever PC you want to.
There are surely also other more comfortable migration apps to transfer data safely outside the walled garden.

If someone generates and uses important data exclusively inside apple's walled garden without giving yourself the chance to backup savely, it is your problem not having thought about before. The disadvantages of the apple "ecosystem" are known by everyone...
And as for Clouds: if you ever thought that storing important private data in whatever hand in whatever country under whatever conditions - and you think this is "for free" without that whoever takes the chance to do at least datamining with it or just gives them away if needed - and you even don't care if and where they get encryted or decrypted - than really nobody is to blame - nobody except than YOU YOURSELF. Now everyone who didn't think about all these important FACTS for your data security before did learn it by the hard way....

Last edited:

Number-Six

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2013
I had a similar issue with my iPad a few months ago where it should shut down at around 18-20%

I took it to an Apple store and found no issues during diagnostics, the genius suggested I do a backup and restore. It solved the issue in my case

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
If they don't own macs, they own PCs. If you own PCs, you will Have most of your important data outside apple's ridiculous walled garden and so far be free to backup whoever you want to.
At least you can transfer your most important data on the iPhone transfer in "notes" or other apps and then transfer them as a simple text or pdf or whatever using email to whatever PC you want to.
There are surely also other more comfortable migration apps to transfer data safely outside the walled garden.

If someone generates and uses important data exclusively inside apple's walled garden without giving yourself the chance to backup savely, it is your problem not having thought about before. The disadvantages of the apple "ecosystem" are known by everyone...
And as for Clouds: if you ever thought that storing important private data in whatever hand in whatever country under whatever conditions - and you think this is "for free" without that whoever takes the chance to do at least datamining with it or just gives them away if needed - and you even don't care if and where they get encryted or decrypted - than really nobody is to blame - nobody except than YOU YOURSELF. Now everyone who didn't think about all these important FACTS for your data security before did learn it by the hard way....
What the hell this has to do with battery issues I don't know. Plus being outside Apple's "walled garden" doesn't make your data safe - quite the contrary if you mindlessly use Windows 10 or Facebook. BTW you do know you can encrypt iTunes backups for both Macs and PCs right?

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2016/02/the-case-for-using-itunes-not-icloud-to-back-up-your-iphone/
[doublepost=1456327814][/doublepost]
I had a similar issue with my iPad a few months ago where it should shut down at around 18-20%

I took it to an Apple store and found no issues during diagnostics, the genius suggested I do a backup and restore. It solved the issue in my case
Restore from backup or as a new phone?

Last edited:

Number-Six

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2013
Restore from backup
What the hell this has to do with battery issues I don't know. Plus being outside Apple's "walled garden" doesn't make your data safe - quite the contrary if you mindlessly use Windows 10 or Facebook. BTW you do know you can encrypt iTunes backups for both Macs and PCs right?

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2016/02/the-case-for-using-itunes-not-icloud-to-back-up-your-iphone/
[doublepost=1456327814][/doublepost]
Restore from backup or as a new phone?
From backup

Reactions: decafjava

ImDoubleD

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2015
Can you live without Facebook and snap chat for a week just to see if some of your other issues are resolved?

Regardless of the app running it shouldn't drop you from 20% to 0 in background processes instantly, so you can at least diagnose that.

I don't use snap chat but I do know there are some settings for notifications in the desktop site that I personally had to change. I didn't want to notified wheneve anyone posts in various groups in in as that caused me to get virtually endless notifications.

Still living without FB. SC is still on but I hardly use it and it's barely in the usage list.

How would someone diagnose a big drop in the % of battery?

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Still living without FB. SC is still on but I hardly use it and it's barely in the usage list.

How would someone diagnose a big drop in the % of battery?
By ruling things out. If you don't have the two apps that apparently were your huge battery draw and the issue is still happening (and not being reported by the OS) it's likely a hardware problem.

I would start with doing another clean restore and trying to use little to no apps (that's aren't stock) and go from there. If a completely clean install is still showing the drops you've mentioned, something is up.

Wondercow

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Have either of you tried calibrating your battery?

1) Run down the battery until the phone shuts itself off (to make this quicker turn on the flashlight, set screen brightness to full, and play a video); turn on airplane mode to help with the next step

2) Charge the phone to full--do not use it while it's doing this

3) When fully charged reboot the phone by holding down the sleep/wake button and home button until you see the Apple logo on the screen

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013

What? Talk about going majorly off topic.

cableguy84

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2015
I have a 6s plus, which in cold weather sometimes (maybe twice in 6 months), switches off at 30%.

Phone is fine in normal temps

Ggvfvgbffbf

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2014
Manchester, England
I'm having this issue. Have a 6, 1 year 5 months old. Today I was using it heavily and it got down to 20% and asked me if I want to switch on low power mode. I declined as I carry a Mophie power reserve with me.

Literally within a minute the phone switched itself off. Not the first time it's happened either. Seems to only happen under heavy use.

ImDoubleD

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2015
Still having quick battery drop issues, but only when it gets below 30%. And it used to last through a normal day easy. Not any more. I never loaded FB back on. Biggest usages now is between messages and mail. WTH??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.