Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

princealfie

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 7, 2006
Salt Lake City UT
Hi folks,

just wondering whether anyone here uses a film camera in addition to their digital outfit. I am glad to use a Leica M6, R8, and Contax outfits. There are a lot of reasons why I still use film and especially if you're stuck in a place without electricity very easily.
...:cool:

Erendiox

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2004
Brooklyn NY
As of now, I ONLY shoot film, although, i'm not a professional. Just a student. I can't attest to films economic value in terms of profit. What I can attest to is the quality you get with film in comparison to digital. I love the film look. It provides much more depth and handles highlights beautifully. I shoot with a 25 year old Olympus OM-1 and just recently came into possession of a Nikkon N6006 with a 70-210mm autofocus lens. The Nikkon gets great quality along with lots of convenient automatic options, but the autofocus and shutter are both loud as hell. I still prefer my antique Olympus for being discreet, which is my style as a photographer. I also prefer the feel of a full manual camera. There's nothing quite like the lever advance after each shot, the mechanical click of the shutter. There's much more character and substance in that.

Peyton

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2006
I don't I find it too clumsy and I hate importing them into a computer, new wifi digitals are so easy and fun... I'm not a pro tho...

sjl

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
princealfie said:
Hi folks,

just wondering whether anyone here uses a film camera in addition to their digital outfit. I am glad to use a Leica M6, R8, and Contax outfits. There are a lot of reasons why I still use film and especially if you're stuck in a place without electricity very easily.
...:cool:
Well, I still have my Canon EOS 30 (that's 30, not 30D) floating around somewhere. I only have one lens I can use on it (the 50mm f/1.8 -- my other lens, the 17-85mm IS, is EF-S, so won't mount on it), but most of the lenses I intend to buy (like the 100mm macro, the 100-400mm, and so on) will fit on it quite happily. Indeed, I may end up getting the 24-70 f/2.8 so I can use the film body as a complete backup to the digital back. (Mmm ... slides ...)

But that last is a long way down the road; the macro and telephoto lenses are a higher priority, as is the 10-22 once I have the money for an underwater housing.

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
I'm just getting back into chemical photography after being out of it for a few years.

I've got a couple of new (to me anyway) cameras.

A Lomograohic SuperSampler that produces results like this:
alfa.jpg

A Holga 120CFN (medium format camera):
holgadx1.jpg

A Pentax K1000 that only I only have a 500mm reflector lens for and I've yet to use it.

My main camera is a Canon A-1, the AE-1 died and I have a Praktica mini digital camera.

mchendricks

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2002
Central Florida
I shoot with both a film (Nikon F100) and a digital (Nikon D100) camera. I like the film camera results better, but the digital camera gives instant feedback.

The one problem that I'm finding is that many new lenses are digital only lenses, DX format in Nikon term. I only buy lenses that can be used on both so I don't have to carry two lenses for the same job.

2jaded2care

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2003
Atlanta
Not a professional photog, but...

My wife always reaches for the digital. I usually go for the Nikon N2020.

She thinks the digital is more convenient. I have to wonder if it is when she's having to spend time printing out on the inkjet, using that expensive ink. (We can just drop the film off at Costco when we're there anyway.)

At least I know the film has a good chance of still being around in 50 years. Not so sure of the digital files. Stored on HDDs, CD-Rs or flash memory, who knows how long they will be around? Not to mention the prints -- one drop of water, and poof!

ksz

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2003
USA
mchendricks said:
I shoot with both a film (Nikon F100) and a digital (Nikon D100) camera. I like the film camera results better, but the digital camera gives instant feedback.

The one problem that I'm finding is that many new lenses are digital only lenses, DX format in Nikon term. I only buy lenses that can be used on both so I don't have to carry two lenses for the same job.
Your predicament is virtually identical to mine. I love Fuji Sensia and Provia film so much that I cannot bring myself to retire my F100. Even scanned slide film with a bit of post-processing looks superior to me than digital, and I can scan 10 megapixels, 20 megapixels, or 30 megapixels at the touch of a button.

Film has a broader dynamic range on both the shadow and highlight extremes compared to digital, and this is evident each time I take a digital and analog picture of the same scene.

Digital isn't so bad -- it has certainly come a long way in a few short years -- but I really really want to see a breakthrough in dynamic range.

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
If I don't use my phone (which is sadly rare now. Film isn't cheap, I'm broke, and don't have much time to go out taking pictures at the moment), I still use my Rebel 2000, and my Minolta SRT-101. I rarely use my Seagull POS TLR, as I don't have a light meter, so the exposure would be a crap shoot. :p

obeygiant

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
totally cool
BakedBeans said:
I am planning on buying a medium format or x-pan soon :)

i have the x-pan II and its real nice. I have to send my film to florida to get contact sheets tho. and the lens that you really want is more money than the camera..

-hh

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2001
NJ Highlands, Earth
For land, I just bought an EOS 3 off of Ebay for just over $300. Figure that its a good upgrade to my Elan IIe for when I want to shoot very wide angle, etc. I'm hoping on putting a test roll through it this weekend.

For underwater, as soon as I hit the lottery, I might consider replacing my Nikonos V. If I had to jump today, I figure that I'd probably end up dropping around $4000 to build a housed system around my 20D. At that price, I can get that Coolscan 5000 w/bulk feeder that I want anyway...and still pay for a lot of chemical developing.

-hh

The Past

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2004
United States
Yes. Still hanging on to that lovely Pentax MX. Film is ideal for capturing skin tones correctly as they even make different film for different parts of the world (e.g., Kodak Ultima 100).

Use a ton of digital as well, but film is always on the list.

firestarter

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2002
Green and pleasant land
Just picked up a Mamiya RZ67 on Monday. Tested it out in Regent's park and burnt 5 films of provia. I'm really looking forward to seeing the results - the close focussing is awesome, and who can argue with 6x7cm super high resolution results.

I'm hoping this toy and my 20D will keep me from buying the Canon 5D and wait out a generation or two of DSLRs until there are some good reasonably priced full frame professional body choices.

law guy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2003
Western Massachusetts
Very little anymore. My N80 was getting less use from the day I bought my first digital camera. Now, with my new Canon 30D, the N80 sits largely idle - though I like to have it around. I like what I'm getting out of the 30D very much - more than film for so many shots, so I don't even feel like there's a tradeoff for me - better images and no film / processing costs / no wait - I'll take it. I remember having to negotiate at the lab for per print costs because I'd show up with 40 rolls and it would be hundreds of dollars. I'm happy to leave that behind me. Although right now I still have 14 rolls to develop.

I would like a scanner at some point to digitize my negatives.

tigercrane

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2006
Jesus said:
I shoot most film on my trusty Nikon F100, and I have a digital back up in the form of a Sony Cybershot DSC-T5.

That said, I am now scanning all my negatives into aperture for a complete library in one place.

jesus

what scanner are you using?
I'm in the market
plan on moving everything over plus maybe remastering some real old photos of my grandparents.

also how's the whole process going? tedious?

thanks

PBGPowerbook

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2004
Counterfit said:
I rarely use my Seagull POS TLR, as I don't have a light meter, so the exposure would be a crap shoot. :p

believe it or not, there were quite a few photographs properly exposed before the advent of mechanical or electronic light meters :)

just look on the inside of a box of print film for a little help, or there's always 'sunny 16' . any of your basic dollar-a-roll print films can handle it, i guarantee you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.