Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GrannySmith_G5

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 28, 2003
oith
Was wondering if anyone here has made and received a calendar from iphoto yet. If so, how was the quality. Does it look cheap and sort of homemade or does it look good for a gift. I want to make one to be shipped to someone but not if it's something I can easily make at home. How is the binding?

Jovian9

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2003
Planet Zebes
Jovian9 said:
My wife is having some problems being able to do this (calendar and postcards). She cannot get connected once she clicks 'buy' in iPhoto '06. Please see my thread for more details and if you might have any suggestions:

https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=2096747#post2096747

Found a solution to the problem I was having. Go to the thread in the quote if you need assistance with this problem.

berkleeboy210

macrumors 68000
Sep 2, 2004
Boston, Massachusetts
Artful Dodger said:
I was waiting for someone to do this, should be interesting to see/hear about the results you get :)

Just checked the Order Status, and they are both currently Printing. Should have them soon. :) Will let you know what they are like when they get here.

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
I hope they up the quality, because I've seen the previous generation books in the apple store and they were nothing to write home about.

GrannySmith_G5

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 28, 2003
oith
Definitely come back and tell about the cards, I'd be interested in maybe ordering them as well. Nobody is trying out the calendar huh? Well I finished the calendar and went ahead and ordered it. I changed it to ship to my house so I can check it out first.

I really was impressed at the ease of creating the calendar. I added all custom dates, and put photos of people on their birthday in the calendar. Simple. I wish this was out in december though- I had to make my calendar a february thru January.

berkleeboy210

macrumors 68000
Sep 2, 2004
Boston, Massachusetts
GrannySmith_G5 said:
Definitely come back and tell about the cards, I'd be interested in maybe ordering them as well. Nobody is trying out the calendar huh? Well I finished the calendar and went ahead and ordered it. I changed it to ship to my house so I can check it out first.

I really was impressed at the ease of creating the calendar. I added all custom dates, and put photos of people on their birthday in the calendar. Simple. I wish this was out in december though- I had to make my calendar a february thru January.

I might do a calander too, pending the quality of the cards. Hopefully they'll be here sometime this week, shipping via FedEx.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
I, too, am anxiously awaiting the first reviews of these calendars, as I would like to order a few of them if the quality is indeed good. Those and the high res photobooks, I hope to be ordering quite a few if everything pans out!

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
berkleeboy210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artful Dodger
I was waiting for someone to do this, should be interesting to see/hear about the results you get

Just checked the Order Status, and they are both currently Printing. Should have them soon. Will let you know what they are like when they get here.

I should say that I had ordered a medium book a week before iLife '06 came out. So I had to use prefsetter...http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/system_disk_utilities/prefsetter.html
Did you have to change any settings under '06 or is this where the big change is in the quality that was talked about?
Look forward to hearing/seeing the outcome :)

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
GrannySmith_G5 said:
Was wondering if anyone here has made and received a calendar from iphoto yet. If so, how was the quality. Does it look cheap and sort of homemade or does it look good for a gift. I want to make one to be shipped to someone but not if it's something I can easily make at home. How is the binding?

I ordered and have received. I had a really bad experience using the ofoto/kodak version, and was pleasantly surprised by the Apple version. Ofoto has two problems. First was the spiral binding was too tight to allow it to turn. Second, a lot of the pictures were "enhanced" so that everyone was very pink, like they were sunburned. I sent them back, twice, because the same problem occured the second time as well.

So, onto what you care about. The apple/iphoto calendars. Overall quite good.

What I like:
-- templates seem nice--I used the farm/animals one because it's a calendar of my 2 yo daughter.
-- easy to use and to configure size of photos
-- like the photos for specific dates, along with captions feature

Quality:

-- nice card stock (and spiral binding works!)
-- photos look good
-- resolution might be better, both for the templates and the photos. From normal viewing distance, it looks really good. But if you get up close, you'll notice that the printing quality is not photo level. (It's not on photo paper). It seems a bit streaky (not sure if I have the right printing terms here)--you can see where the printer laid down the different colors. Now, this is no worse than ofoto (who got the colors wrong, too), but it would not be acceptable for a frameable print. For a calendar? I'd say pretty good.

For those who care, the back of the calendar says "Made on a Mac" -- no ofoto legend, just an apple.

ETA: I sent the calendar to my mom, and ordered more for the rest of the family. My mom absolutely loved it. Of course, with her granddaughter on it, that was bound to happen. But I think the bigger point is that while a discerning photographic eye might care when closely inspecting it, when you hang it on a wall or give it as a gift, people are going to focus on the overall effect, not the small glitches that might exist.

zarathustra

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2002
Boston
I don't know if this helps, but I was at the Apple store and they had the new calendars/books/cards out.

I have to say I was impressed.

Impressed enought to get a copy of iLife 06.

That's all.

berkleeboy210

macrumors 68000
Sep 2, 2004
Boston, Massachusetts
Well the Cards that I ordered showed up today. I ordered them on the 27th, Shipping Label was printed on the 4th, and they were picked up yesterday.

They ship in Apple Non-Bendable Envelope that says "Your Photo Order is inside"

Open up the Envelope and they are in another envelope, with 2 envelopes to fold them in.

Presentation: Is Really Good! They look much better than most cards you'd buy in a store.

I'll try to post a couple pics tonight.

Just thought I'd share with you all!

Jovian9

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2003
Planet Zebes
We got our iPhoto '06-made-Calendar today. Took about 10 days from the day we ordered. Overall it is great. No problems whatsoever and everything looks good....even the pics that take up a whole page.

Josh

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2004
State College, PA
I wonder if iPhoto 6 has the same kind of plist setting that you can change to bump up the resolution from 150dpi to 300 like in iPhoto 5?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.