Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ryan700

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 4, 2008
Canada
I am running Photoshop and Lightroom from an SSD in my computer . I was wondering if I got a MBP w/retina display and ran the program off the SSD moved into a portable drive if there would be a considerable performance hit. It seems the only upgrade path or replacement path from here means to a non-user friendly non-upgradeable retina display model.

Lunfai

macrumors 68000
Nov 21, 2010
Sheffield
I am running Photoshop and Lightroom from an SSD in my computer . I was wondering if I got a MBP w/retina display and ran the program off the SSD moved into a portable drive if there would be a considerable performance hit. It seems the only upgrade path or replacement path from here means to a non-user friendly non-upgradeable retina display model.

This question is confusing? Why would you want to run it off an SSD. I'm not exactly sure that you can install and run it off an external SSD but I've never honestly tried but I don't think performance would be effected too much.

My rule of thumb is just keep documents on an external and keep all applications on the main drive but I've got 256 so I haven't had to worry about storage.

I'm pretty sure the Samsung T1/T3 is more then you need for an external hard drive and if you can install it on an external drive and run it then this would be my go to drive.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
I was wondering if I got a MBP w/retina display and ran the program off the SSD moved into a portable drive if there would be a considerable performance hit.

You'll be limited by the interface speed. So yes, there will be a performance hit.

It seems the only upgrade path or replacement path from here means to a non-user friendly non-upgradeable retina display model.

:rolleyes:

There are actually options if you'd like to upgrade the SSD.

Did you just want to complain? Not sure why you bought a rMBP if the non-user upgradeable SSD is so horrible.

Ryan700

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 4, 2008
Canada
You'll be limited by the interface speed. So yes, there will be a performance hit.

:rolleyes:

There are actually options if you'd like to upgrade the SSD.

Did you just want to complain? Not sure why you bought a rMBP if the non-user upgradeable SSD is so horrible.
Didn't buy one yet. But I can see in the future when I have to replace my computer that the only choice I have is a non upgradeable computer. If you look at the MBP's now if you want a 16MB model with a 512GB Flash drive the price difference is huge from a 128GB flash drive, hence my question about performance with externals.
Also, I have a 1 TB SSD in this computer and the upgrade to 1 TB flash is almost $1000 from OWC so why upgrade when I can use my SSD as an external if the performance is acceptable?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.