Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

unknown87

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 19, 2007
Why make such a fuss over it if its been 'out there' for a while though?

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
So a magazine cover, that might be fake, mentions the "7D". And Canon Europe says "Stay Tuned". Potokina is only a few days away, so I'd think we'll all know the answer soon... stay tuned... :D

I'd bet on the 5D replacement though. It's overdue; plus what else, exactly, makes sense? Is there anything else they haven't already refreshed?

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
So a magazine cover, that might be fake, mentions the "7D". And Canon Europe says "Stay Tuned". Potokina is only a few days away, so I'd think we'll all know the answer soon... stay tuned... :D

I'd bet on the 5D replacement though. It's overdue; plus what else, exactly, makes sense? Is there anything else they haven't already refreshed?

I think everyone is in agreement it's a 5D replacement. Seems to be some confusion as to whether it's one body or two: people over at dpreview claim the different teaser images show different bodies due to missing dials on some images. It's possible (although I feel it's unlikely) that Canon may be about to split the 5D into a 3D and a 7D to compete at different price levels...

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
I think everyone is in agreement it's a 5D replacement. Seems to be some confusion as to whether it's one body or two: people over at dpreview claim the different teaser images show different bodies due to missing dials on some images. It's possible (although I feel it's unlikely) that Canon may be about to split the 5D into a 3D and a 7D to compete at different price levels...

I don't know how the people that hang out on DPreview's Canon forum are; but if they're anything like some of the ones on the Nikon forum, their connection with reality is rather tenuous. :D

wheezy

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
Alpine, UT
If it's a new 5D then my $3000 for a MacPro is going to Canon now. Poor Apple (Okay, not really, $3K is nothing to them). I wouldn't be surprised if they split it into a cheaper FF though, I think there are a LOT of loyal fans to the 20/30/40/50D body that are ready to jump, and if they can keep it below $2000 then sales will go crazy. If they can keep it below $2000 then I'd be happy to throw my balance out towards another new L. Mmmm. L

ksz

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2003
USA
I would be very tempted by the hypothetical Canon 7D, a FF 16MP body with HD Movie Mode. If it also borrows the new 50D's ability to mount both EF and EF-S lenses, it could provide a crop mode with high FPS.

Lots of goodies to look forward to at this year's Photokina.

CATinHAWAII

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2007
--== Hawaii ! ==--
I would be very tempted by the hypothetical Canon 7D, a FF 16MP body with HD Movie Mode. If it also borrows the new 50D's ability to mount both EF and EF-S lenses, it could provide a crop mode with high FPS.

Lots of goodies to look forward to at this year's Photokina.

When is Photokina again? Darn this trip coming up in October!
Maybe time to upgrade,,, GRRRRRRR:p

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
If it also borrows the new 50D's ability to mount both EF and EF-S lenses, it could provide a crop mode with high FPS.
It's physically impossible to mount EF-S lenses, because the lens tube will touch the mirror. With Canon's mount (unlike Nikon's F mount), it's not possible.

ksz

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2003
USA
Is the mirror on FF closer to the mount whereas the mirror on APS-C is farther recessed into the body?

Kebabselector

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2007
Birmingham, UK
I'm not sure if that applies for (some?) third-party lenses.

Don't think it does, with 3rd party lenses you just get a nice bit of vignetting.

ksz said:
HD Movie Mode.

I wouldn't believe that, OK Nikon have dropped it in the D90. I doubt Canon would do the same on a 5D replacement. Looks as if someone has looked a latest trends and just guessed (Not saying it wont happen, but seems unlikely)

ksz said:
If it also borrows the new 50D's ability to mount both EF and EF-S lenses

It's not a new thing, all EF lenses work on all EOS bodies.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.