Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Some of us still prefer a fully-featured desktop computer HTPC, but at $800 even the base model Mac mini is hard to justify. It's telling that Apple doesn't market the mini's HTPC capabilities anymore, only the Apple TV is targeted at that market now. Really a shame that modern Apple seems so empowered to abandon previously loyal niche user bases due to pricing (eg. current 5,1 owners who have been priced out of the 2019 Mac Pro) and force them to look elsewhere for what they want or need.

Is anyone here still using a Mac mini as a HTPC? For 1080p home theater setups the older less-expensive models (such as my base model 2012) still work fine, but I'm also curious if anyone has been able to justify the 2018 models for this use with a newer 4K setup when are cheaper PC alternatives available such as the Intel NUC.

ScreenSavers

macrumors 68020
Feb 26, 2016
Bloomingdale, GA
I think for the price, and local video playback, the Intel Compute Stick with Windows 10 can’t be beat.

I bought a Mac mini 2018 when it first came out (not the base model either!) and I wasn’t too impressed with it. I sold it and got a late-2015 5K iMac.

MrRabuf

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2019
While I never used a Mac mini as an HTPC, I gave up on (windows) HTPCs over 5 years ago and would never even think about going back. They're too much hassle and Rokus, Apple TVs, etc have long since been good enough for me.

Reactions: Osamede

Muttznuttz

macrumors member
May 21, 2014
London
Still using base model 2014 Mini with an internal SSD upgrade. Plex, TM, Torrents. No problems. I run Plex and Infuse clients on ATV4. Okay some films take a little while to start but once going, all is fine. 1080 TV tho.

Schroinx

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2019
I have a mac mini 2014 or 15 doing service as 1080p win10 emby HTPC and have been using minis in this configuration for a lot of years as the are virtually silent, use little power and take up no space.

I have been looking into the new 2018 model. It seems as you can squeeze 4k 60Hz 4:4:4 out of it but I am unsure of it can do up-scaling with madvr to 4k.

Apparently it have audio glitches due to the T2 chip.

But supposedly it should be good for 4k video encoding, but who cares, of you cannot watch it. I wonder if one should wait for a Ice Lake based mac mini, if such a thing comes. Apples release of new mac minis are not exactly stellar performance.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8626419
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/2018-mini-4k-4-4-4-60hz-via-hdmi.2158693/

GrumpyCoder

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2016
It seems as you can squeeze 4k 60Hz 4:4:4 out of it but I am unsure of it can do up-scaling with madvr to 4k.
Doubt it, scaling requires a bit more power so you should add a GPU, which of course can be done. Be aware that you won't be able to use a Nvidia card with macOS (due to lack of drivers), so you're stuck with AMD. That in return will prevent to use Nvidia specific settings in MadVR unless you're using a Nvidia card running Windows on the mini (I actually have no idea if a Nvidia eGPU works on a mini running Windows). I've actually just received a Radeon VII and Titan RTX with two Razer Core X Chroma eGPU enclosures, but I have no idea when I'll be able to do some tests.

Uofmtiger

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2010
Memphis
Me too, I gave up. The Mac mini is only used for Roon & uTorrent. I use an Apple TV 4K with Infuse for TV shows.
I am still in the testing process for Roon, but it was the main reason I connected my older 2010 Mac Mini to my main system. I also like running the fish screensaver that looks awesome on a 65 inch screen. The other uses are few and far between since I use a different computer to serve files since I want it to be quiet in my living room when it isn't in use. I have an AppleTV and other boxes for the other stuff.

I do like Roon, other than the price. However, I wanted something that specializes in my own collection to work alongside Apple Music and it seems to fit the bill.

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
I think for the price, and local video playback, the Intel Compute Stick with Windows 10 can’t be beat.

I bought a Mac mini 2018 when it first came out (not the base model either!) and I wasn’t too impressed with it. I sold it and got a late-2015 5K iMac.
The compute stick is $130, you could probably buy a 2010 Mac Mini near that price.

page3

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2003
Outside the EU
I use a Mac Mini 2012. Replaced AppleTV + Sonos.

Plex Media Player*
Spotify Connect
Plex Music Player

* With yesterday's news of Plex discontinuing Plex Media Player (Boo!) I will switch to Kodi + PlexKodiConnect + Embuary Skin. More of a faf to set-up but a better experience in the end.

I was finding separate devices for different media playback a pain and not very family friendly.

Schroinx

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2019
Right now I'll wait and see if they will release a new mac mini that is truly 4k via hdmi, as I don't have a urgent need to move to 4k. Running win10, I have a lot more freedom with the video it seems.
The idea with the egpu is not bad, but also defies the idea of using a mac mini for htpc. I have had normal pcs before as htpc and got the mini because it is small, silent and clutter-free.
I guess I should wait and see if not apple release a 4k mac mini that can output true 4k over hdmi in 2019 or early 2020 with the ice lake processors. Hoping for Apple to release a unit with strong madVR capabilities is likely too much to hope for.

Osamede

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2009
Right now I'll wait and see if they will release a new mac mini that is truly 4k via hdmi, as I don't have a urgent need to move to 4k. Running win10, I have a lot more freedom with the video it seems.
The idea with the egpu is not bad, but also defies the idea of using a mac mini for htpc. I have had normal pcs before as htpc and got the mini because it is small, silent and clutter-free.
I guess I should wait and see if not apple release a 4k mac mini that can output true 4k over hdmi in 2019 or early 2020 with the ice lake processors. Hoping for Apple to release a unit with strong madVR capabilities is likely too much to hope for.
You can use any Mini as the file server and a 4K Apple TV as the player. Don’t wait.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region

HDMI is just becoming to expensive to all manufacture even PC gamers are switching is the open Display Port. HDMI is just up the price to computer/streaming partners that the current hard core PC gamers say to use Display Port now!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.