Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CBAviator

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2007
Nederland
I was curious if anyone has used Aperture with the brand new iMacs. If so, how does it perform overall?

I've got my 24" iMac on order with Aperture preinstalled. I can't wait for it to arrive!!!!! :D

da_alchemist

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2003
I was curious if anyone has used Aperture with the brand new iMacs. If so, how does it perform overall?

I've got my 24" iMac on order with Aperture preinstalled. I can't wait for it to arrive!!!!! :D

I ordered my 20" iMacs pre-installed with Aperture. I've been playing around with it since Friday. I was planning to upgrade to 4GB of RAM with OWC sticks in the near-future; for now I've only got 1 GB of RAM - the minimum requirements for Aperture.

So far, I think some extra RAM will definitely be needed, especially if you want to run it alongside some memory-intensive programs such as Photoshop.

It has also crashed on me four times since I've got it. The program doesn't just crash; it hangs the whole computer. I had to resort to holding the power key for ten seconds in order to force a restart. This might be because of a lack or RAM or because it doesn't mesh well with one of the programs. If it's the latter, then my guess would be with Quicksilver; next guess would be BonEcho - which is the Mac-optimized version of Firefox.

Could you, or someone else let me know why Aperture crashes?

Also, good choice with the 24" Display. I've read on these forums that the 24" model has a better viewing angle: 170 degrees vs. 180 degress. Had I known that, I would have considered the 24".

I do run Aperture with a secondary, old school Apple Display monitor (the easel type). So far, it seems very productive to have two displays in Aperture. But with such a monster screen as the 24", you might not need it. :)

Let me know what you think of Aperture on your iMac!

kis

Suspended
Aug 10, 2007
Switzerland

as I was unable to calibrate the MMiM (Makeup Mirror iMac) I had ordered for evaluation at work (due to the glossy display), I went for 24" white iMac instead. I have 2gb of RAM in that and Aperture runs quite well. As Aperture heavily relies on the graphics board, the new iMac will probably perform a bit slower than the old one (which had better graphics), but the increase in processor speed could make up for some of it, I suppose. Nothing to worry about performance-wise - Aperture runs very well on iMacs.

However, I personally don't think a glossy screen can be used for image editing. The colors aren't correct and those suckers are extremely hard to calibrate.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.