Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mjr1000

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 31, 2017
The idea of a sapphire crystal screen is appealing but does it make sense to work out in a stainless watch everyday? The casing will probably scratch up pretty easily (though I know it can be buffed out - at least silver, not sure about black). And is the stainless heavier? I’m talking daily weight training/CrossFit. Thanks.

Reactions: Vanilla35

Scary Spice

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2015
British Columbia
I am all in on SS. After 2 years, screen is very very good (no noticeable scratches) and little to no wear on the body.
The watch is heavier, but it feels great.

Al is for the misers out there. The SS is all luxury.

canyonblue737

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2005
I wear the SBSS 42 with my small wrists and I'm a smaller guy. I don't notice the weight... ever. Running, lifting etc. The screen and the case itself (SB just doesn't scuff) is flawless 10 months after I started wearing it 24/7.

justinf77

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2003
I wear my SBSS weightlifting in the gym 5x a week. Still looks great!

As a side note, I think SBSS looks better in the gym because it’s understated compared to traditional SS. I always felt kinda funny wearing a shiny SS in the gym, but SB has been perfect for me in all situations including when getting dressed up. I think it’s the more versatile of the two.

Edit: That said, more bands go well with the traditional SS, so depends what you prefer.

wchigo

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2015
Been using the 1st gen (series 0? lol) Apple Watch daily since I got it and it's held up fine. I also use it in the gym when doing cardio and weight lifting, and the weight isn't a concern. Body is a bit dinged up but not noticeable from a distance.

Brien

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2008
I use my SS with my milanese loop most of the time in the gym, no issues. Sport would probsbly be more comfy but I didn’t see the need for two watches.

cwanja

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
Texas
Following this thread because I have the same concerns. Using a stainless steel in the gym seems absurd. And I play a few outdoor sports (disc golf, golf, football, volleyball). Really concerned with wearing it during those, but want the activity tracking as part of it.

Really feel in a bind. Almost want to order BOTH - a stainless steel and an aluminum and return (unopened) the one I do not want after seeing the models in store.

Madmischief

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2013
Oxford, UK
I use a SS0 for all kinds of sport and it’s been fine for 4 years.

Glass is fine and sides are swirled but no major scratches or knicks. I use it with a Nike band when working out, hiking, for tennis, etc.

bradbomb

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
I have worked out at my Crossfit with my SS Apple Watch S0, S2, and S3 all the time. Also did a triathlon in my S2 and S3 and swim regularly. Holds up well. I use either my Nike Sports Band or Nylon Sports Loop the most for workouts.

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.
This thread has a lot of good feedback on the longevity and durability of the stainless steel version while doing vigorous activities. With that said, is the casing on your devices scratched or dinged up from all these activities? Crossfit, weight lifting, hiking, volleyball, or is everything pretty much in pristine condition still?

KarimLeVallois

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2014
London
This is the very reason I purchased the ceramic. I used to have a S2 SS for work and S2 Sport for the gym. I sold both for the ceramic to have one watch for all. Bit lost now with what to do...?

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.
This is the very reason I purchased the ceramic. I used to have a S2 SS for work and S2 Sport for the gym. I sold both for the ceramic to have one watch for all. Bit lost now with what to do...?

I also plan to lift weights and do long runs (half marathaons, etc) in a SB SS, but will also wear it daily to the office and out at night. I don't plan on it getting completely destroyed from weights or maybe soccer or ultimate frisbee, or anything like that, but I would still like to know what condition these things are in after a couple years of that activtiy; if I also want it to look good while going out.

Definitely not buying two watches and don't see the need for that. Did you buy the ceramic to be safe, or because you had issues with SS and scratches?

KarimLeVallois

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2014
London
I’m quite OCD, so got the ceramic for durability, it’s still pristine. I’d personally go SS as I think it looks better for work and much more versatile, but torn whether or not to just skip S4 and keep the ceramic.

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.
Wait, why is it absurd to use SS at the gym? It's more durable, isn't it what you want?

Glossy finish vs Matte

Not durability as in what will survive if a 50 lb dumbbell lands on it. Durability as in what will still look better when going out afterward, if it is also used daily in the gym with potential nicks and scrapes here and there.

KarimLeVallois

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2014
London
Glossy finish vs Matte

Not durability as in what will survive if a 50 lb dumbbell lands on it. Durability as in what will still look better when going out afterward, if it is also used daily in the gym with potential nicks and scrapes here and there.

Ceramic was perfect because of this!

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2002
Unless you're super clumsy or do a lot of work with kettle bells, I can't imagine a SS AW getting especially banged up at the gym.

I've used mine for years without issue. Weight is negligible btw.

mjr1000

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 31, 2017
What
Following this thread because I have the same concerns. Using a stainless steel in the gym seems absurd. And I play a few outdoor sports (disc golf, golf, football, volleyball). Really concerned with wearing it during those, but want the activity tracking as part of it.

Really feel in a bind. Almost want to order BOTH - a stainless steel and an aluminum and return (unopened) the one I do not want after seeing the models in store.
What did you decide?

barjam

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2010
I have used the SS for years for working out, zero issues. SS will get micro scratches (regardless what you do) which easily buff out if you care.

One nice thing about the SS 4 is that it feels way lighter than the other SS models. I don't know the specs off hand but it felt sort of like going from an older SS to an aluminum model weight wise.

cwanja

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
Texas
What did you decide?
I've got my stainless steel and love it. I did use it this past week for flag football and have no issues. I used it around the house this weekend for chores and had no issues. I am extremely careful with it - taking it off if I think it will get in the way or scratch against material (iron decor on front door, brick on entry way, etc.) I have not been able to get into the gym with it, but I have absolutely loved the watch since I got it on launch day.

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.
I've got my stainless steel and love it. I did use it this past week for flag football and have no issues. I used it around the house this weekend for chores and had no issues. I am extremely careful with it - taking it off if I think it will get in the way or scratch against material (iron decor on front door, brick on entry way, etc.) I have not been able to get into the gym with it, but I have absolutely loved the watch since I got it on launch day.

Thanks for pointing out a fairly common activity yet fairly uncommon post in regards to outdoor activities. If you were to be playing tackle football or ultimate frisbee outside where you may have to dive or fall to the ground, would you feel anxious about either the impact damaging the watch, or maybe a pebble or smaller rock scratching it up or cracking the screen by chance (assuming the field is not turf)? Would that situation be significant enough to warrant you deciding to take it off during the activity instead of keeping it on?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.