Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Passante

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 16, 2004
on the sofa
The Pantone Huey monitor calibrator is very inexpensive. Anyone using one? The Colorvision Spyder is almost twice the price. Is there any difference?

The Past

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2004
United States
I think the big deal for me in Huey is that I will be able to leave it plugged in (USB) and it will manage colors as the light in the room changes. But does anyone know how to make this feature work with a dual-display?

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
Maybe people with these types of monitor calibrators could rent them out to fellow macrumors people. I wouldn't mind calibrating my monitor, but there is no way I'm gonna pay big bucks to own something I'm gonna use once or twice.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I really need to calibrate my dell lcd with my epson r1800. I just got the r1800 and my prints vary from what is on my screen slightly. I've done ok with calibration without software/hardware, but I really need something. I just have so many other things that I need/want to spend $300 on. I wish there were a solution for about $100 that was accurate and easy to use. I usually outsource all of my prints and do black and white in the darkroom, but time doesn't sit on my side these days so I have to do what I can to get instant results. Not to mention I would like to offer clients proofs faster than 2 weeks.

Passante

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 16, 2004
on the sofa
jessica. said:
I really need to calibrate my dell lcd with my epson r1800. I just got the r1800 and my prints vary from what is on my screen slightly. I've done ok with calibration without software/hardware, but I really need something. I just have so many other things that I need/want to spend $300 on. I wish there were a solution for about $100 that was accurate and easy to use. I usually outsource all of my prints and do black and white in the darkroom, but time doesn't sit on my side these days so I have to do what I can to get instant results. Not to mention I would like to offer clients proofs faster than 2 weeks.
I have the r800 and with the calibration tools in system preferences I've have my crt closely matched to the printer. After reading a few reviews I think I'll order the Huey and give it a try. I've hesitated buying a Spyder because of the price. For $79 from B&H I'm ready to give the Pantone product a try.

I'll post her in a week and share my calibration experience.

Passante

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 16, 2004
on the sofa
The Huey has been here for a week. Have not done any serious printing using my Epson r800 but casual prints on my Epson 870 look great with good color matching to the screen.

The Huey software was a snap to install and use. Turn off the "remind me to calibrate my monitor" feature unless you enjoy being interrupted during Halo multiplayer. Hope to do some printing this weekend and post more.

Passante

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 16, 2004
on the sofa
Still have not done much printing this week. Hope the heads don't dry out on my r800. However I am very pleased with the relatively good match of my prints and the monitor. So far Huey is well worth $80.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.