Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Evangelion

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 10, 2005
Hello folks. I have often seen people post great HDR-pictures in here. And whenever I try to create a HDR-image, the end-result is.... less than good. I'm not sure where the problem is. I keep on fiddling with the settings, and the end-result seems to go from bad to worse.

So, the idea I have is this: one of our resident HDR-gurus posts three different exposures that we, the learners, could then try to combine in to single HDR-image. The teacher could also post his version of the HDR-image, showing rest of us that "this is possible". We could then discuss various ways to create the HDR and how different settings affect the result. If the guru is up to it, he could also show us step-by-step route from the original to the final HDR-image, showing us how the image evolves and how different setting affect the image.

How about it, HDR-gurus :)?

termina3

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2007
TX
I'm not an HDR guru. You're probably looking for valdore.

Have you checked out the HDR thread? It has a basic tutorial. Although not as in-depth as what you're proposing, it might help.

Evangelion

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 10, 2005
I'm not an HDR guru. You're probably looking for valdore.

Have you checked out the HDR thread? It has a basic tutorial. Although not as in-depth as what you're proposing, it might help.

IIRC, I read it a while ago, but I haven't checked it recently. And I have read various tutorials, but no use.

The thing is that when I try to create a HDR, and end up with something that looks like a turd on a stick, I can't be sure that is it because the source-material (the original pictures) were unsuitable, because I made mistakes when turning those images to HDR or because there's something wrong with my system. With the approach I proposed we would be starting from a common ground and we would be shown what is possible with the provided material. That way we could see where mistakes are being made.

G.T.

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
I would love someone to post 3 exposures so we can all show our different out comes. I have had experience with creating hdr but I don't have a tripod for my dslr and I know you can use a single raw image but its not the same.

zebbz

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2008
London
i wouldnt say im a hdr-guru
but to keep the thread moving

heres three exposures of an image i processed from a raw file as opposed to taking three individual pictures

uploaded to sendspace as a zip

http://www.sendspace.com/file/v9u2o1

and heres what i achieved using photomatix

3196539103_d0572eb459_o.jpg

im quite happy with it.

G.T.

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
You can see that the photoshop one is less vibrant however more natural.

Untitled_HDR2.jpg

This is done in Photomatix.

DSC_021901x_2x_3x_tonemapped.jpg

I would like to know the kind of filters people use to make colours seem more striking.

zebbz

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2008
London
i try and make the black point so that the blacks are darker
and the colour saturation a bit higher

that might be the things u need to do to make ures look a bit more vibrant.

Evangelion

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 10, 2005
I highly recommend this HDR Tutorial.

It's very detailed and assumes nothing.

Hope it helps you.

I read that a while ago. But my HDR's still look like crap. I'm just about to start working on the example-pictures posted here

OK, here's my take. I went for a slightly surreal look.

It looks better (and more HDR-like) than what I have generally accomplished with my own images (that end up looking grainy and crappy). So the problem might be with the source-images I take. Now I need to figure out what it is that I'm doing wrong when taking the pictures...

The one extra modification I made is that I resized the image so I can attach it directly to the discussion.

OK, let's see what you guys can come up with these images. If you are interested, I came up with this (well, that picture has some editing done to it, besides tonemapping, but still.

Attachments

• tonemapped-resized.jpg
    tonemapped-resized.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 97
  • karjalohja  049.jpg
    karjalohja 049.jpg
    277.3 KB · Views: 84
  • karjalohja  050.jpg
    karjalohja 050.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 84
  • karjalohja  051.jpg
    karjalohja 051.jpg
    273.8 KB · Views: 97

PimpDaddy

macrumors 6502
May 9, 2007
I got this in 3 minutes in Photomatix and Photoshop.

Edit: Tone mapped in Photomatix and auto curves + noise reduction in photoshop.

Attachments

• karjalohja  049_50_51.jpg
    karjalohja 049_50_51.jpg
    621 KB · Views: 134

G.T.

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
This time I think I prefer the sky in the Photoshop one however I never made the highlights very striking, so the other image is more attractive (done in Photomatix).

Attachments

• karjalohja  049_50_51_tonemapped.jpg
    karjalohja 049_50_51_tonemapped.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 84
  • Untitled_HDR2.jpg
    Untitled_HDR2.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 98

namethisfile

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2008
This time I think I prefer the sky in the Photoshop one however I never made the highlights very striking, so the other image is more attractive (done in Photomatix).

these images don't look that bad for hdr. i like the clouds and the landscape. although, the sky is a bit overwhelming compared to the rest of the image.

thr33face

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2006
OK, let's see what you guys can come up with these images. If you are interested, I came up with this (well, that picture has some editing done to it, besides tonemapping, but still.

i played with your 3 exp. in photoshop and came up with this:

maybe the colours ar too strong

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
hey everyone, finally decided to try this, took 3 pictures with a standard camera - i literally have no idea what im doing.. dont even know how to save it haha (had to take a screenshot).

very interested in trying to make some good looking pictures! any tips?!?!

(original image is attached too)

Attachments

• P1030668-small.jpg
    P1030668-small.jpg
    497.7 KB · Views: 84
  • Picture 2.jpg
    Picture 2.jpg
    325.6 KB · Views: 72

shady825

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2008
Area 51
hey everyone, finally decided to try this, took 3 pictures with a standard camera - i literally have no idea what im doing.. dont even know how to save it haha (had to take a screenshot).

very interested in trying to make some good looking pictures! any tips?!?!

(original image is attached too)

You have to start with a good picture. Turning a crappy picture into a HDR wont make it a better photo

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.