Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

igmolinav

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 15, 2005
Hi,

We, (a friend and I), met a photographer. He has a set of three very nice strobe lamps, which he could let us use. Even the brand name for the strobes, (I am ommitting it), would be considered among one of those nice brand names.

My friend and I are like cool, wow, super : ) !!! ........... but then also like not, no way, etc. !!! And the reason for this, is that the photographer has told us that in the past three years, he has not used the generator and the three strobes. He showed us that he had everything stored in a cool place, sealed inside separate plastic bags, etc. Everything looked fine. However, we have thought about it, and fear now that if we use the lamps, they may go kaputt. After all, it has been three years, without them being used.

Next week, on monday, we meet again with the photographer. He will turn the generator on, flash with us the strobes a few times, and he'll talk a bit with us about the use of the equipment. Phantastic then, but if the equipment fails shortly afterwards we are responsible !!!

We would love to use this equipment !!! My question to you is, can we anyhow prevent this equipment from malfunctioning. If it has not been used for three years, what should we watch out for, or what should we have to do to have it working in optimal condition and without any fear ??

Thank you very much, very kind regards,

igmolinav.

CipherMe

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2006
I would be careful of using them at full power until you have made a number of low power shots to reform the electrolytic capacitors. They can become weak and prone to shorting out if hit with their rated power after having been unused for so long. Just "ease" them back into use and they should be OK unless they have already shorted out.

No way to know their condition without taking apart the unit and testing them. But ease them back into service and you will probably be just fine.

igmolinav

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 15, 2005
Hi,

Thank you for your answer : ) !!!

I think, that is what we'll do. We'll slowly start using the equipment, and at very low power settings.

Thank you again, very kind regards,

igmolinav.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.