Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattcube64

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 21, 2006
Missouri
As noted in my earlier post, I'm still deciding what I want. However, is there any place in particular that can save me some $$$, or any coupons or whatnot I should know about?

Most cameras I'm looking at (a100, D50, Rebel XT), can be found for about $75-$100 less when bought online at either BH, amazon, etc. However, I'd like to buy at a Brick & Morter, so I plan on trying to price match an online offer in-store.

Is that my best bet? Or, should I know about some online coupons or offers?

Thanks.

Aperture

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2006
PA
I think a few brick & morters only match prices to other brick & morter stores. Otherwise, couldn't you go ahead & make a website selling the item for a low(er) price then have em match it to it? Sorry, its a stretch but just making a point. Anyway, sorry I couldn't be of much more help.

Good Luck! (Btw, go for an XT, I have a Rebel 300d and love it):D

Poeben

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2004
First a plug for B&H. Great retailer to deal with. And if it makes you feel any better they do have a brick and mortar store in NYC. It is huge and very impressive.

Second, if you are in the market for a Canon in the next few weeks they are offering rebates on some items (including double rebates if you buy two qualifying items.) This might not help if you're not in the US, but good luck anyway.

Canon Rebate Info

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Probably your best bet is to go into your local brick-and-mortar store and look at, handle, all the camera models in which you're interested and then say to the sales associate that you're interested in one particular one, would they be able to price-match what B&H in NYC is selling it for.... Use B&H for your example, as it is a reliable store rather than one of the all-too-prevalent shysters in Brooklyn who offer seemingly great deals but who don't deliver what is promised. The local store may or may not be able or willing to do so. At that point you need to decide what you want to do.

Me, I prefer to buy from a local brick-and-mortar store in the event that there is any sort of problem or if I just want to be able to walk in at some other time and ask some questions, get some tips on working with my new gear, whatever.... OK, so fine, I may have to pay a little more than I would if I ordered from B&H or some other online store, but to me it means a lot to be able to walk into my local store and say, "hey, I've got dust bunnies on my sensor, can you show me how to clean my camera?" or, "hey, I really would like to see the xxx lens; can you show it to me (even thinking or suspecting darn well that I'm not going to buy it if it's a lens that cost thousands of dollars)?" (What a surprise to us all when in one such situation I actually DID buy the lens!) A serious problem arises with my camera or a lens? I can take it in to my local dealer and they will ensure that it gets repaired, either on-site or by Nikon.....

The bottom line here is that it might be false economy to purchase something online when it is available right in one's neighborhood brick-and-mortar store, and although one has to pony up the sales tax when buying locally, even if prices are matched otherwise, in the end the better deal still may be at the local store due to other tangible and intangible benefits.

Regardless of where you decide to purchase, the most important piece of this is that you take the time to carefully handle and experiment with each camera body and each lens that you are considering purchasing -- you want to have a camera that feels right to you and lenses that will do the job for you. You can read reviews and comments up the wazoo on the internet about this camera body, that camera body, this lens, that lens...but the bottom line is how one camera body and one or two lenses work out for YOU. Only you can determine that and this is only possible by your physically handling them for a while.....

I may sing the praises of a Nikon camera body, someone else may sing the praises of a Canon camera body, and yet someone else may chime in to exult over the glories of a Sony/Panasonic/Pentax/Olympus/whatever.... that doesn't mean diddly. You need to hold each camera in your own hands and several bodies within a given camera system if there are several offered. You need to determine which camera works for YOU and which len or lenses will fulfill your needs.

Good luck!

wwooden

macrumors 68020
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT
Ritz Camera has the D50 with the 18-55 lens for $550, at least in my area. That is as cheap as I have found it anywhere, online in a local store.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
B&H's current pro code is psnov. That'll get you the best non-rip-off pricing on some gear but not all- if your choice is there, then I'd say pull the trigger--- getting a price match isn't going to be easy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.