Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chublet

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 10, 2018
My Time machine backs up as normal - hourly, daily, weekly - and I have excluded as many folders as I think I don't need etc. But I just noticed it doing a backup of 458MB and I can't for the life of me work out what would need backing up in the last hour/day.

Is there any way of seeing what files will be backed up at the next backup so I can see whether I am in fact backing one up that I don't want to?

cruisin

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2014
Canada
It doesn't do partial file backups, so if it is a big file that is modified it will transfer the whole file again or if you have a bunch of files even slightly modified it will transfer everything again.

Reactions: chublet

chublet

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 10, 2018
Thanks for the reply, that makes sense - I guess if I am streaming something over Plex then as its is transcoding it may be making a temp file somewhere which is then being backed up, possibly the case? Same with safari, if I am browsing web sites during the hour between backups it will copy the updated History file I presume?

Not a massive issue for me but I do like to know what is going on!

ItWasNotMe

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2012
Start Terminal

Enter the following: tmutil compare

which reforms a difference

For an explanation from terminal type: man tmutil

and scroll down to the relevant section

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.