Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

trjwv

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 24, 2010
kentucky...Go Cats
Is apenture 3 that much better than iPhoto or just a beefed up version of iPhoto?
Is it worth the premium price of 199.99 if you already have iPhoto?

emorydunn

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2006
Austin Texas
It's both. It is a beefed up version of iPhoto in the sense that it have Faces and Places and Events but other than that it's a much much better editing and organising tool. I just bought Aperture 3 and I think it's totally worth the price. But that's me. It really depends on what you're going to be doing. Basically look at the features and think "Is that something I really need?" and then download the trial and test it out, if you like it then get it, if not don't.

HarryPot

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2009
If you have a dSLR and shoot RAW it is a must have. Otherwise, it is a welcome upgrade, but not a necessity. Basically Aperture let's you handle RAW photos in a much better way than iPhoto, and also gives you better tools to edit them.

One of the things I like the most about Aperture, besides what I mentioned above, is the organization system. Whatever is the way you like to keep your photos organized, you can easily do it within Aperture.

Do you find iPhoto limits you?

trjwv

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 24, 2010
kentucky...Go Cats
Do you find iPhoto limits you?

only been a mac user for 1 month. I am interested in slideshows and creating books of my kids. My mother is a professional photographer who uses CS4 and loves it but has never been a mac user either. I also want to get into editing some of my photos. I use a Nikon D5000 and Flip HD.
thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.