Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 20, 2006
is there any differences between the academic version of aperture and commercial version of it?

i was at the apple store past weekend, and they were telling me that the academic version of aperture cannot be upgraded and etc, is that true?

is there any other differences? thanks

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
i
i was at the apple store past weekend, and they were telling me that the academic version of aperture cannot be upgraded and etc, is that true?

There was not yet been an upgrade to Aperture that requires payment to Apple. The only upgrde related comment I've seen on the Apple web site is this (quoted from the academic store's software page)

"All current owners of Aperture will automatically receive the free upgrade to Aperture 1.5 via Software Update. "

We know for sure that, so far the academic version has been upgradable just like the full priced version. But on one has yet had to pay for a version upgrade.

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
Aside from the upgradability (or lack thereof), the only differences are that your loading screen says "Aperture Academic", and your user agreement says that you won't use the software for professional purposes (i.e. as a source of revenue.)

bog

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2006
I own Aperture Academic 1.5 and I'm not able (or given the opportunity) to upgrade to 1.5.1... This may answer the question!

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
I own Aperture Academic 1.5 and I'm not able (or given the opportunity) to upgrade to 1.5.1... This may answer the question!

Please don't fill the forum with misinformation. Aperture academic is upgradeable to 1.5.1. However, Apple has not pushed 1.5.1 out to all their software update servers as of yet.

I own Aperture academic and 1.5.1 installed just fine (manually).

Aperture academic will NOT be upgradeable to Aperture 2.0 (provided 2.0 is a new version, and not a free upgrade also).

John T

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2006
UK.
Please don't fill the forum with misinformation. Aperture academic is upgradeable to 1.5.1. However, Apple has not pushed 1.5.1 out to all their software update servers as of yet.

So therefore, Bog's statement may be correct ? ;)

bog

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2006
I was typing my serial number in wrong, success downlading the software manually. All software update servers aren't been synchronized I guess. Thanks for your feedback.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.