Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NATO

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 14, 2005
Northern Ireland
Hi,

I'm hoping someone here will know what I could do to solve a problem I'm having with Apple's Aperture and a Canon 30D. Basically, when I connect the camera and Aperture loads, the import window doesn't generate preview images for RAW iamges, just the JPEG ones. The RAW images are simply displayed as grey squares.

However, when I actually import the image, once in the library, the preview is fine. It only seems to happen on the import window.

If it helps, I have swapped between a Canon 350D and a 30D recently in case that might a possible cause of problem.

Does anyone else have this problem, and is there anything I could try to fix it?

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
I switched from a 300D to a 30D and have not had any problems like you are describing. I always use a card reader though. (Both my printer and my LCD have built in card readers so thats nice.)

NATO

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 14, 2005
Northern Ireland
I'm connecting the camera directly to the Mac, although my 350D was fine when I connected it directly too

NATO

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 14, 2005
Northern Ireland
I love it, more from an organisational point of view. I shoot in RAW, and its so handy to just plug in the camera, Aperture loads up and allows an easy import of my images into a nicely organised structure of folders and projects. In fact, you don't even really know you're working with RAW images, it's really that seamless. Its good to be able to stack images, so I can have my original and any edited images all part of the same stack. I tend to do editing in Photoshop though, although Aperture's basic toolset is quite useful also. Aperture really shines as a way to seamlessly import, organise and store all your images in one simple app. It's definitely not going to replace Photoshop in terms of image editing etc, but it does provide a very easy way to send an image to Photoshop, then once you're done, you just save the image in Photoshop, and Aperture picks up the new, edited image and stores it along with your original. Very very useful indeed!

It also has a very easy way to compare 2 or more images side by side, crop and/or straighten images, view them full screen or at 100% resolution. It also has a very neat 'Vault' function which encourages you to keep a backup of your images on another drive for security.

I know Aperture has come in for a lot of criticism, but I think its very very useful. Yes, it's not the fastest application in the world, but that will improve through future updates. Your Power Mac is fine, although you'll probably want to bump it up to 2GB RAM or more

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.