Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Coming soon.

I'm so excited. I've not been able to use it properly yet as I have an XTI.

In addition Apple will be offering a demo so you can all try it out too :D

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
1.5.1 and the updated RAW support installed. Kiss Digital X RAW files still unusable. :mad: Very mad now

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
where is the updater file stored? i updated my aperture thru the software update, but i just thought maybe i should keep a copy of that updater thingy, in case in the future if i need to reinstall aperture, i can still get the updater... but when i went to apple's website to try to download that updater, it said i already downloaded... what's the deal?

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
what if one day i have to reinstall OS X, then what am i supposed to do about aperture?

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
but if it says i can only download the updater once, how do i re-download it? or is software update still going to allow the update, just not manually download it from apple's website?

Over Achiever

macrumors 68000
Are there 3rd party plug-ins for other digital camera RAW files that aren't officially supported? I have a Fujifilm Finepix S6000/6500. I would be interested in using Aperture for my RAW processing if that's possible, but I don't want to buy it and have it not work.

Thanks!
OA

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
but if it says i can only download the updater once, how do i re-download it? or is software update still going to allow the update, just not manually download it from apple's website?

You have the working wrong. It's not "can only download the updater once" is should be "can onlu download the updater if you don't already have it". In the case where your hard drive smokes and yoou don't have a current backup you woud have to install whatever version of Aperture you have (like version 1.0) and then let it update what whatever is then current (like maybe 1.5.4)

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Are there 3rd party plug-ins for other digital camera RAW files that aren't officially supported? I have a Fujifilm Finepix S6000/6500. I would be interested in using Aperture for my RAW processing if that's possible, but I don't want to buy it and have it not work.

Basically not possible. RAW support does not reply on or even support plugins or any form of extension. RAW support is provided at an OS level by a single binary RAW library and a configuration file that tells the OS some settings to use on a per-camera basis. If your camera uses the EXACT same sensor as another, supported, model then you can add an entry to the configuration file for it, otherwise no go.

Over Achiever

macrumors 68000
Basically not possible. RAW support does not reply on or even support plugins or any form of extension. RAW support is provided at an OS level by a single binary RAW library and a configuration file that tells the OS some settings to use on a per-camera basis.
Ah, I didn't know it was OS-level, I thought the RAW translating was within the program or plug-ins (like the Adobe RAW plug-ins). Is it possible to convert the file in Adobe to a "standard" RAW format and use that standard (is it .dng?) in other programs? I don't like my RAW workflow to go through Photoshop (I'd rather use Aperture or Silkypix for that).

Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.