Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

student_trap

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 14, 2005
'Ol Smokey, UK
ok so i went into the apple store yesterdsay and the guy said that apeture when bough by a student at university was about £185, a reasonable amount i thought, but when i check online on the HE store, it is only £89.30. This price makes it super tempting, but is it just a glitch on the system?

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
It might imply that an upgraded version is coming in a few months (2.0). As student versions will not be eligible to upgrade to this it makes sense that they will be cheap in the run up. This is pure speculation. It's not been that long since 1.5 was released. There is PMA 2007 in March which could be the launch venue...

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
ok so i went into the apple store yesterdsay and the guy said that apeture when bough by a student at university was about £185, a reasonable amount i thought, but when i check online on the HE store, it is only £89.30. This price makes it super tempting, but is it just a glitch on the system?

glitch or not - I say jump on it! some universities here in the states discount Aperture down to $99 from the ($149) standard higher ed price.

I still don't understand why products are so much more expensive in England.

millar876

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2004
Kilmarnock, Scotland UK
aparenyly its ONLY (take with a pinch of salt) because our prices include VAT or value added tax, or as i believe you americans call it, sales tax. and shipping costs. HOWEVER i dont buy it because if that is the case shipping charges are way too high ans sales tax must also be way higher than the 17.5% we got here

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
aparenyly its ONLY (take with a pinch of salt) because our prices include VAT or value added tax, or as i believe you americans call it, sales tax. and shipping costs. HOWEVER i dont buy it because if that is the case shipping charges are way too high ans sales tax must also be way higher than the 17.5% we got here

Apple ships everything over $50 for free here.

17.5%! :eek: Even the worst areas of the states (tax wise) are only ~10%.

Qianlong

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2004
VAT in Belgium = 21% !!!!!!!!!!!

and yes student version can't be upgraded to version 2.0., but if you need it now just buy it.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
To be honest, I don't see Aperture 2.0 any time soon. There aren't enough different features from competitors to warrant it.

I'm sure Apple is working on something, I just wouldn't expect it any time before August.

cdpilkington

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2006
Yes, your eyes are working! :p
Ordered it for this price mid-november, as far as I know it's been at this price since the 1.5 update, probably before as well. I love edu discounts.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Yes, your eyes are working! :p
Ordered it for this price mid-november, as far as I know it's been at this price since the 1.5 update, probably before as well. I love edu discounts.

Normally right now I'd be bitter and spluttering about how good you students get it, but I got my full retail copy for £70 on eBay just before 1.5 launched :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.