Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kdum8

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 8, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
I am currently using Aperture 2.0 on the latest 2.5 GHz MBP (VRAM 512MB) with 2GB of RAM. I am getting a few too many beach balls when using the cloning tool intensively sometimes in full screen mode. Having to wait upto a minute on occasion.

Upgrading to 4GB RAM seems like a potential solution but has anyone here had any personal experience of the differences in performance using Aperture 2 on a 2/4GB MBP for comparison?

Cheers,

:eek:

tunakuja

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2008
Not Using aperture 2.1

any reason why you are not using aperture 2.1. Just got my mbp 2.5. yet to install aperture still finalizing process of calibrating the battery which will only get done tomorrow then I can also try my luck

kdum8

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 8, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
any reason why you are not using aperture 2.1. Just got my mbp 2.5. yet to install aperture still finalizing process of calibrating the battery which will only get done tomorrow then I can also try my luck

just haven't got around to updating yet. Did 2.1 bring much of a change?

tunakuja

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2008
apparently it should improve performance according to this blurb...

About Aperture 2.1 Update
Gives photographers incredible tools to manage massive libraries, speed through photo edits, make essential image adjustments, and deliver photos online and in print using one simple, integrated workflow. Whether you shoot RAW or JPEG, Aperture lets you get the most out of your photography.

Learn more about Aperture 2.

What’s New in this Version
Aperture 2.1 updates various features of the application and addresses issues related to performance and overall stability. It also includes fixes that impact a number of other areas, including import, Quick Preview, All Projects view, image adjustments, books, printing, and export.The update is recommended for all customers using Aperture 2.

http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/aperture21update.html

JonD25

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2006
I don't know what it's worth to you, but I'm running 2.1 on the Mac in my sig. I usually have to have Photoshop running at the same time and I find 2 GB of RAM not really enough with everything else I have running too. Unfortunately, I don't even have the option of finding out whether 4 GB of RAM would help much or not since my iMac maxes out at 2 GB.

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
Get a faster hard drive.. that's the biggest bottleneck in your system.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.