Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bobt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 17, 2006
Bozeman, Montana
Hoping for a little Aperture help. I upgraded to 2.0 and ordered the upgrade serial number online (for my old license). I also installed the 2.1 upgrade the other day. Today I received an error message saying something to the effect "protection error, there is another copy of Aperture running on your network with the same serial number."

The only other computer on my network is my wife's Mini Mac which does not even have Aperture installed. Only one copy (2.1) of Aperture was running on my computer.

Should I uninstall the older version of Aperture? Why would it even care if it is not running? Any suggestions appreciated since I haven't run into this before and don't understand what it is looking for.

Thanks.

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
Hoping for a little Aperture help. I upgraded to 2.0 and ordered the upgrade serial number online (for my old license). I also installed the 2.1 upgrade the other day. Today I received an error message saying something to the effect "protection error, there is another copy of Aperture running on your network with the same serial number."

The only other computer on my network is my wife's Mini Mac which does not even have Aperture installed. Only one copy (2.1) of Aperture was running on my computer.

Should I uninstall the older version of Aperture? Why would it even care if it is not running? Any suggestions appreciated since I haven't run into this before and don't understand what it is looking for.

Thanks.

I would delete the old version, or maybe run disk permission repairs through the disk utility.

bobt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 17, 2006
Bozeman, Montana
I would delete the old version, or maybe run disk permission repairs through the disk utility.

Thanks for the thoughts. Probably leave things as is for now and see if it happens again. So far, it has not. If it does, then I'll delete the old.

Just seems really odd.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.