Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flosseR

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 1, 2009
the cold dark north
Ok, I am pretty sure I am not the only one here but I can be wrong about this issue.

So I have a lot of RAW images. I only shoot in RAW. But, I have big collections and just want to bulk "export" the albums and projects into JPGs but keeping them in paerture and the structure. so basically I want to export the entire album into JPGs right there in Aperture and then being able to delete the RAW files as it would free up many GBs and I am SURE i won't edit the fotos anymore. ut i just can't be bothered to go, export versions and then re-import them...

any ideas??

Cheers
//F

cosmokanga2

macrumors 6502a
I think the best way to do this would be to open a project or folder, cmd+A/select everything, File>Export>Version to a separate folder. Once Apertures done exporting, delete the Aperture folder/project that was exported, and then re-import the folder that images were exported to. Only way I can think of doing it. It's only four steps and the most time is going to be spend with Aperture doing the work. Hope this helps.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I think the best way to do this would be to open a project or folder, cmd+A/select everything, File>Export>Version to a separate folder. Once Apertures done exporting, delete the Aperture folder/project that was exported, and then re-import the folder that images were exported to. Only way I can think of doing it. It's only four steps and the most time is going to be spend with Aperture doing the work. Hope this helps.

That may be the best way. But then 1TB disks sell for $100 now. That means 1GB costs 10 cents. How many dimes do you want to save?

If you want to use only the built-in features of Aperture and use them the way they were intended to "corect" by-the-book way to do this is to copy a Project to an off line disk while keeping only the "previews" in the library. The previews ar JPG format and can be any size you like. By default they are "screen size" but can be set to anything. Then if you loose, misplace, re-format your off line disk Aperture will never know and continue using the previews. This avoids the hassel of export and re-import.

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
Why don't you put your RAW files onto an external harddrive (i. e. you use referenced files instead of managed files)? You can do that on a file-by-file basis, if you want.

Apr 10, 2007
I was wondering how you reference files from their current location, I have all my photos organized in a way I like and I don't want to have to copy all the pictures into aperture each time I use it, I just want it to edit the files in their current location, I know I was able to do this before but I forgot how I did it, could someone remind me?

cosmokanga2

macrumors 6502a
I was wondering how you reference files from their current location, I have all my photos organized in a way I like and I don't want to have to copy all the pictures into aperture each time I use it, I just want it to edit the files in their current location, I know I was able to do this before but I forgot how I did it, could someone remind me?
In the import pane there is an option on the right hand side to store the files in their current location. It under "Store Files".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.