Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

taylorwilsdon

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 16, 2006
New York City
I'm just wondering if anyone has similar experiences. For 99% of my shots, I've found that the Auto Exposure tool in Aperture is completely worthless. Most of my shots are correctly exposed at shot, but I process all because I shoot raw. The auto exposure almost always shoots the exposure slider almost to the maximum amount, completely blowing out the picture. Its worked properly (that is, the change it made improved the picture) maybe twice out of the last 5000 shots I've put through.

Does anyone use the tool with success?

Jan 30, 2006
Yep, I also found it completely worthless. Whenever I use it it would over-expose the photo.

I think what happens is that it fails to recognize the kind of photo. It always tries to expose correctly everything, from the background to the subject, and in many shots you don't want that. Tho I have found it also over-exposes in many landscape photos.

Also the Auto-White Balance is kind of useless. At least for me. Maybe because I tend to prefer warmer shots most of the time.:)

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Frankly if you nail the exposure in the first place then auto exposure is useless. However, it has been my experience that auto-anything is nearly worthless when it comes to post-production work in PS, Lightroom, Aperture, or the likes.

Best to use manual adjustments and keep your eye on the histogram.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.