Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macfreak1945

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 3, 2008
Hi - I am very new to Aperture and have hunted high and low in all the forums to find an answer to this question but so far have not found one, so here goes:

I have Aperture installed on both my new imac and year-old macbook (both Leopard and fully updated). I have imported photos from my iphoto library (which Set Up Assistant migrated over from my MB) into Aperture on my imac successfully, choosing to move the masters to my Aperture library there because it has a much bigger hard drive. I have neatly filed them into projects (and into blue albums within those projects) and adjusted them to my satisfaction.

I then exported each project to the Desktop and then, being careful to close Aperture on the imac, brought the project onto the Desktop on my MB via my network. I then opened Aperture on the MB and imported the project from the Desktop. I could see that the project obviously had contents because of its size and it took a few minutes for it to be imported. But the project has no images in it!

I have checked that the images in the imac Aperture are not referenced images so this can't be the problem and I have no problem exporting and importing images themselves - just the whole projects.

I expect there is an obvious answer to this but I have tried in vain for several hours to find it so I hope someone here will be able to help.

CATinHAWAII

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2007
--== Hawaii ! ==--
Hi - I am very new to Aperture and have hunted high and low in all the forums to find an answer to this question but so far have not found one, so here goes:

I have Aperture installed on both my new imac and year-old macbook (both Leopard and fully updated). I have imported photos from my iphoto library (which Set Up Assistant migrated over from my MB) into Aperture on my imac successfully, choosing to move the masters to my Aperture library there because it has a much bigger hard drive. I have neatly filed them into projects (and into blue albums within those projects) and adjusted them to my satisfaction.

I then exported each project to the Desktop and then, being careful to close Aperture on the imac, brought the project onto the Desktop on my MB via my network. I then opened Aperture on the MB and imported the project from the Desktop. I could see that the project obviously had contents because of its size and it took a few minutes for it to be imported. But the project has no images in it!

I have checked that the images in the imac Aperture are not referenced images so this can't be the problem and I have no problem exporting and importing images themselves - just the whole projects.

I expect there is an obvious answer to this but I have tried in vain for several hours to find it so I hope someone here will be able to help.

ive been having a similar problem, lately my computer takes sooo long to scan for dupes, and then just hangs... i think i need to upgrade, but that shouldnt be the only solution...

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
So, are you clicking on the project icon, the ones that looks like the shoe box, then going to "FILE" then "EXPORT" then "PROJECT"

Then once the dialog box appears clicking on the "consolidate images into exported project" radio button?

If not, let us know what you are doing, if so, then I will think of something else.

Also, CatinHawaii, if you are using Aperture on a 15" Powerbook then the hanging is being caused by the machine. Aperture is no hog by any means, but it was poorly designed to run on the G4 processor.

macfreak1945

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 3, 2008
APERTURE 2 - Importing project results in no images!

So, are you clicking on the project icon, the ones that looks like the shoe box, then going to "FILE" then "EXPORT" then "PROJECT"

Then once the dialog box appears clicking on the "consolidate images into exported project" radio button?

I am in the process of going through it again with another project but it will take some time so I thought I should just say thanks for your reply. I have a funny feeling it might work this time. Before when I tried I didn't actually click on the icon itself but the project name which highlighted the project - could this be why it wasn't working before? It is taking much longer this time! I did as you said and clicked on "consolidate images into exported project" and I am pretty sure I tried this before (I was trying everything!). I thought that you only did this when the images were referenced rather than managed?

I have studied the 'help' and googled the problem until I thought I was going mad so I am keeping my fingers firmly crossed! I will come back to this once the project has downloaded!

Thanks again for your imput...

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
No problem brother. Yeah, even if the images are managed by Aperture you have to click on the consolidate images into exported project button. Let us know if all works well.

macfreak1945

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 3, 2008
APERTURE 2 - Importing project results in no images!

No problem brother. Yeah, even if the images are managed by Aperture you have to click on the consolidate images into exported project button. Let us know if all works well.

Digital Skunk - I could kiss you! And in case you are getting worried, I am a 'sister' rather than a 'brother' and a grandmother at that!

Needless to say, it worked - especially when I used a portable USB drive to act as a go-between. The network idea was not a good one!

Thank you so much - you have saved my sanity - although I do feel a bit of an idiot as I should have known that you had to click on the symbol itself. I think I was looking for something more profound!:http://images.macrumors.com/vb/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Digital Skunk - I could kiss you! And in case you are getting worried, I am a 'sister' rather than a 'brother' and a grandmother at that!

Needless to say, it worked - especially when I used a portable USB drive to act as a go-between. The network idea was not a good one!

Thank you so much - you have saved my sanity - although I do feel a bit of an idiot as I should have known that you had to click on the symbol itself. I think I was looking for something more profound!:http://images.macrumors.com/vb/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

No problem, and sorry about the misnomer, sister! Glad it worked out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.