Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

merlinn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2008
I have a macbook pro and an imac I would like to install Aperture on both. Is there a way to do that without buying two programs??

Merlinn

kkat69

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2007
Atlanta, Ga
I have a macbook pro and an imac I would like to install Aperture on both. Is there a way to do that without buying two programs??

Merlinn

Legally No.

One "active" instance on one machine at a time. Meaning, if you have it on the MBP and you want it on the iMac, then uninstall it on the MBP and install it on the iMac.

Again, Legally No.

merlinn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2008
Does that mean I can uninstall it from one computer and then install it on the other with no problems. Is the issue is having an install on both at the same time? How do they know I removed it from the first computer to allow it installed on the other??

Merlinn

termina3

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2007
TX
Does that mean I can uninstall it from one computer and then install it on the other with no problems. Is the issue is having an install on both at the same time? How do they know I removed it from the first computer to allow it installed on the other??

Merlinn

kkat never said they "knew" (I don't know), but Apple isn't infamous for going after users. The kicker is that legally you can't do it. If you're willing to step across that line, I don't think it would be too difficult (again, I can't say for sure though).

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Legally No.

One "active" instance on one machine at a time. Meaning, if you have it on the MBP and you want it on the iMac, then uninstall it on the MBP and install it on the iMac.

Again, Legally No.

Actually, as far as I can tell, you can install it on a desktop and laptop, you just can't run it in both places at the same time. That's consistent with software like Photoshop too.
"This license allows You to install and use one copy of the Apple Software on one Apple-labeled desktop computer and one Apple-labeled laptop computer so long as both computers are owned and used by You."

Printed license in the box doesn't seem to be available online though.

kkat69

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2007
Atlanta, Ga
Well, I'll put it like this and take it for what it's worth.

You can DO whatever you like/wish. If your breaking license agreement then so be it. If not then kudo's.

(I had to dig out my license agreement for Aperture located in 'app/contents/english/etcetcetcetc') The kicker is that even though it's not always available it IS there for you to read when you install. Most users click, click, click, click to install but never pay attention. It paiz too reed. :D

In the OP's original question, it IS licensed for one Apple Desktop and one Apple Laptop PROVIDED they are both owned and used by you (yes same as what compuwar said about photoshop). Read below...

B. Single User License. This License allows you to install and use one copy of the Apple Software on one Apple-labeled desktop computer and one Apple-labeled laptop computer so long as both computers are owned and used by you. You may use the Apple Software and any third party digital photo content contained in or otherwise included with the Apple Software, on a royalty-free basis, to create your own original digital photo products, however, the third party content is provided as part of the Apple Software bundle and may not be commercially or otherwise distributed on a standalone basis.

So your safe.

merlinn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2008
Perfect, that is just what I need. Thank you for checking.

Merlinn

termina3

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2007
TX
Ha, that's neat. Good to know, too.

Do you think that, like with Office, running both at once on the same network would cause problems?

kkat69

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2007
Atlanta, Ga
Ha, that's neat. Good to know, too.

Do you think that, like with Office, running both at once on the same network would cause problems?

Seriously (don't quote me) I don't think so, if your referring to running them at the same time.

Since it's licensed that way regarding a single user, I would assume you could probably run it at the same time on the same network.

My wife has a MB and I thought about adding it for quick touch ups while on travel, but I haven't installed it yet.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
I have been dealing with that situation for a while now. I am not sure if I will be moving my entire operation to one machine just yet, so I am trying to run my one copy of Aperture on 2 machines.

If they are on the same network, the software will shutdown after one version with the same serial is opened already. If you take one machine off of the network you are fine. For me, the lappy has to connect to the tower to access the master files, so it has to be on the network.

For anyone else, you can run the software on two machines but just make sure it's not at the same time, and your library isn't on the network forcing you to connect.

kkat69

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2007
Atlanta, Ga
I have been dealing with that situation for a while now. I am not sure if I will be moving my entire operation to one machine just yet, so I am trying to run my one copy of Aperture on 2 machines.

If they are on the same network, the software will shutdown after one version with the same serial is opened already. If you take one machine off of the network you are fine. For me, the lappy has to connect to the tower to access the master files, so it has to be on the network.

For anyone else, you can run the software on two machines but just make sure it's not at the same time, and your library isn't on the network forcing you to connect.

And there you go, like I said, don't quote me.

Thanks Digital Skunk for your answer.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California

Merlinn

I went to one of Apple's Aperture seminars and this is one of the most common use cases. Take your notebook to a shoot, down load the images to the notebook and process them then export the project. Then when you get home import the project to the desktop machine and delete it from the notebook. projects were designed to be self contained just for this reason.

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
Apple allows you to install Aperture on one laptop and one desktop owned and used by you.
Aperture Software License Agreement said:
B. Single User License. This License allows you to install and use one copy of the Apple Software on one Apple-labeled desktop computer and one Apple-labeled laptop computer so long as both computers are owned and used by you. You may use the Apple Software and any third party digital photo content contained in or otherwise included with the Apple Software, on a royalty-free basis, to create your own original digital photo products, however, the third party content is provided as part of the Apple Software bundle and may not be commercially or
otherwise distributed on a standalone basis.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Is this a Leopard "Back To My Mac" type of setup? How do you like it?

I wish. I can't get "BTMM" working on anything but Apple routers. I am sure that they can work on some 3rd party ones but I don't know how other places setup their networks... I am pretty sure it is with the security set to maximum so only the bare minimum gets in or out.

I just have the second drive on my tower as the library, and reference all the images from both copies of Aperture. It works a lot better if you concentrate your library on one machine, i.e. use one machine as your main workhorse, and the other as dumping ground/backup. Now I am just thinking of deleting Aperture on the tower and just using Bridge, since my G5 can't keep up with my MBP now-a-days. :D

I had a feeling it worked like that. Way back in the day it was sort of a silent agreement (since we didn't read them back then either) that if you bought any form of software, you could install it on either a work machine and a home machine, or your desktop and laptop without worry. You just can't run them at the same time when they are networked together.

euanmackie

macrumors member
Dec 26, 2007
how does aperture know if your the person using the application? me and my dad both want to use aperture he has an imac i have a mac book pro.

termina3

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2007
TX
how does aperture know if your the person using the application? me and my dad both want to use aperture he has an imac i have a mac book pro.

It doesn't. In fact, I suspect that you could install one copy of Aperture on, say, three computers.

But you couldn't legally, and the EULA states that you can put it on your desktop and laptop... so who owns the machines? This is getting into legal nitpicking territory, and while it's important to follow the law, it's also beyond my abilities to give you advice.

euanmackie

macrumors member
Dec 26, 2007
It doesn't. In fact, I suspect that you could install one copy of Aperture on, say, three computers.

But you couldn't legally, and the EULA states that you can put it on your desktop and laptop... so who owns the machines? This is getting into legal nitpicking territory, and while it's important to follow the law, it's also beyond my abilities to give you advice.

Sounds Good Enough for me! thanks,

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.