Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

swanseastu

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 18, 2007
Swansea, Wales UK
Im trying to achieve like the title says, 2 macs (powermac G5 and intel macbook) but only 1 library

Currently, my library is on the macbook, with all my photos stored on an external drive.

When i take more photos, i manually add them to my external hard drive in the folder structure im happy with (Year>subject>sub subject - i.e 2009>Ibiza>pool / Resort / trips etc)

I then import that folder into Aperture.

Im thinking that if I copy the current library onto my Power mac, and run the import process on both machines when im ready, my library will be the same on both machines.

I realize there is a element of risk if i forget to import a particular folder on one machine or the other, but I cant think of another way to do it.

I want to be able to carry around my library on the macbook, but I want to be able to work with my library on my powermac

Any thoughts

TheReef

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
NSW, Australia.
Store a single library on the external hard drive along with the photos directory, and tell Aperture on both machines to use that library.
Doing this you can still keep the referencing you like.

Aperture > Preferences > General > Library Location

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Aperture is designed to make this easy. It is also licensed to give permission to do this because that is the way many (most?) people will use it..

The idea is that you have one desktop machine wheter the full library is kept then you also have a notebook where a subset of the library kep. this my be just the active projects you are working on

The way Aperture works is you move "Projects" between computers. In Aperture the "project" is the self-contained set of files that is moved. Never move files or images always Projects.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.