Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phas3

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 5, 2008
I can't seem to decide I'm a beginner in photography, I will be shooting with a nikon d40 I don't know if that helps but which program would you guys recommend?

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
Here we go again :D

They are both very good. It is a matter of preference. There are many threads on this forum debating the pros and cons of both.

Both have 30 day free trials. Download both and see which one you prefer.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I can't seem to decide I'm a beginner in photography, I will be shooting with a nikon d40 I don't know if that helps but which program would you guys recommend?

Why don't you want to use iPhoto? Ok good reasons to want the others but your answer about why you don't like iPhoto will tell us about which of the other two is best for you. For example if you don't like the way iPhoto organizes images into a library you won't like Aperture because it does the same thing.

I'd say stick with iPhoto until you can list out several good reasons to switch.

You can donload and try out both LR and Aperture and use them for 30 days for free. But be warned it really will take 30 days, working every night, to do a fair evaluation. Both are large complex programs.

phas3

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 5, 2008
well i have both aperture and light room, aperture seems to run sluggish and i like lightrooms way of importing photos. I guess ill just have both installed on my laptop then? and keep messing with them till i know which to keep.

wheezy

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
Alpine, UT
well i have both aperture and light room, aperture seems to run sluggish

What is your hardware setup? And just to be sure are you running Aperture 2? I had 1.5, and then did the trial of 2 and stopped using 1.5 until I bought 2, 1.5 was dog slow compared to what 2 does now.

phas3

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 5, 2008
Ive got a macbook 2.4ghz Intel core 2 Duo 2gb RAM

elcid

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2007
Ive got a macbook 2.4ghz Intel core 2 Duo 2gb RAM

I have the same setup in a 2.0 and it runs fine, not sure what you are seeing. Sure it isnt going to be like running on a Mac Pro, but as a "power user" I would hardly classify it as "sluggish"

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
well i have both aperture and light room, aperture seems to run sluggish.

Notice the little icon on the far right under the image viewer with three horz. lines and a box. Click it or just use the "p" short cut. It toggles Aperture in/out of "fast mode" (actully p is for "preview" mode.) and puts a yellow border around images to let you know. You can do everything except adjust images in this mode.

As part of your test bring up the email program and select an image to send. Notice the image browser inside Finder can see inside Aperture libraries. Check out spotlight searches too. Try and see which program works best with the other software you use, like email or Photoshop.

thomahawk

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2008
Osaka, Japan
i use adobe lightroom right now and i enjoy it over aperture.
theres not much differences cept that lightroom isnt compatible with iphoto meaning you cant move pics and stuff between the 2 programs but however that can be fixed through a searching on google

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.