Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rweakins

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 3, 2007
When you create a vault can you move the vault to say an external HD? if so can you remove the pictures from your aperture library and say still update a web gallery?

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
When you create a vault can you move the vault to say an external HD? if so can you remove the pictures from your aperture library and say still update a web gallery?

A vault is an archived copy of the Aperture Library and it really should be created on an external drive. There is little point of keeping your backup in the same drive as the library. So external drive is the normal place for it. Some people will have multiple vaults and rotate them in to be sync's and then rotating the drive out to some far away place.

No, if the image is not in the library you can't do anything with it

A vault is not a place to store off-line images. For that it is best to export a project. Projects can by moved off line and aperture retains the thumb nails.

rweakins

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 3, 2007
so i wouldn't be able to edit the pictures which is fine but if i put my vault on an external hard drive and then remove the pictures from my library if i wanted to add pictures to a web gallery it wouldn't mess up the pictures i deleted from my library would it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.