Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rm2092

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 30, 2008
Well I just bought this today, is it limited to one computer only ? I did do the online registration from my MBP and now it will not allow me to run it on my Imac. I guess when I registerd it i messed up ? Any way around this ?

anubis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2003
Most retail software is licensed for installation on only one computer at a time. That's why apple sells "Family packs" of OS X and iLife (and maybe some others) - you only get one disc but you're allowed to install on up to 5 computers for an increased price.

Otherwise what's to keep a large company with a hundred workstations from buying one copy of Photoshop and installing it on all of their workstations?

Pretty sure you'll have to buy 2 copies if you want to use on 2 different computers.

wheezy

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
Alpine, UT
I'll have to research this, but I swear another poster on here said that the Aperture License allows you to run it on 1 Desktop and 1 Laptop.

firstapple

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2007
I'll have to research this, but I swear another poster on here said that the Aperture License allows you to run it on 1 Desktop and 1 Laptop.

This is true for the student licensed one (I know because this is what I have). However, both computers need to be registered to the same person. I don't know if the same goes for other Aperture licenses.

rm2092

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 30, 2008
Thanks I got it to work on both machines, if I turn off the wifi on my laptop it will allow me to run both computers at the same time turn wifi on and it blocks me from useing it. Thats strange how it picks it up thew the wifi ?

SWC

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2004
Thanks I got it to work on both machines, if I turn off the wifi on my laptop it will allow me to run both computers at the same time turn wifi on and it blocks me from useing it. Thats strange how it picks it up thew the wifi ?

This is similar to what microsoft office does. While you can install aperture on two computers you can only run it on one computer at a time meaning if it is open on the imac it must be closed on the laptop or vice versa.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
A bit of a tangent here - why would you want to have it running at the same time on two different computers, anyway? I know a lot of Mac heads don't like to "quit" their software for some reason; but Aperture's a memory and resource hog.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Pretty sure you'll have to buy 2 copies if you want to use on 2 different computers.

READ the license.

Aperture's license allows you install it on one desktop and one notebook.

Well that is what is allowed but technically there is nothing stopping you from putting the software on 100 computers, only the license prevents it. Apple does not track the installations

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
Apple is not alone here, at least the student version of MS Office allows you to do the same thing, ditto for Adobe apps (at least it used to be that way). Of course, the essential point is that both computers have to be used by the same individual and cannot be used concurrently.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.