Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 25, 2004
NY
So i installed aperture and want to import my iphoto library, when I go to import i get all these folders. Which one do I click on? :eek: :confused:

Attachments

• Picture 3.png
    Picture 3.png
    149.1 KB · Views: 139

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
You can access your iPhoto library without importing it though.

Look for the biggest folders with all the photos inside (maybe via Finder) and use that...

puckhead193

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 25, 2004
NY
I went clicking through the the folders and I can't import anything....
Could it be that i'm using an old version of iphoto...? I think its iphoto 6 :eek:

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
iPhoto 06 uses folders and not one big-tushie library file like 08 and 09.

If you use Finder, you might find several big folders (GBs perhaps, if you have plenty of photos), which contain your images. Either they are sorted by year (2005, 2006, ...) or they are in the Originals folder.

What format are your photos in?

puckhead193

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 25, 2004
NY
they are in jpeg format. Instead of going through import iphoto library; can i go through folders as projects.
If I do it this way, aperture will allow me to import the folder but which one should I click on? I was thinking modified because it *should* have my edits...
If I do it this way, each year will be a project in aperture correct? I'm getting a new mbp next week ( i hope it arrives by then) could i take the install disks and upgrade to iphoto 09; would this work? (i wish apple would go back to the free ilife updates :(

Grasher

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2009
I'm getting a new mbp next week ( i hope it arrives by then) could i take the install disks and upgrade to iphoto 09; would this work? (i wish apple would go back to the free ilife updates :(

Could you try using migration assistant with your new MBP to get your iPhoto 06 library into iPhoto 09, then import them into Aperture from there? I've gone that route, albeit over a few years, as I imported my iBook iPhoto 06 library into my new MacBook iPhoto 09 library last year, then imported the iPhoto 09 library into Aperture 3 last week. It all seemed to work ok.

I think you might have an issue with your idea of importing straight from folders using the 06 structure as either you import the Originals folder, and lose all of your edits, or import the Modified folder, and potentially don't get all of your photos as not all of them may have been modified.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 25, 2004
NY
So i tried using my install disk on my imac, and it didn't work. What are my options. If I opened up iphoto and selected all my photos and dragged and dropped them into aperture, would that work?:confused:

puckhead193

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 25, 2004
NY
If i used my iMac and my mbp and used the mirgration assistant, could I just select the iphoto library and nothing else? After I do that my photo's should be in iPhoto...I can then open aperture on my mbp and import the library. How could I import the files so they are on an external drive so I can then merge the aperture library that was created on my mbp back to my imac?

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
I ned to get a few things straight here. You have your photos in iPhoto 6 on your iMac and you have Aperture on your MBP. You want to move your iPhoto library, which is a collection of folders, over to your MBP.

You mentioned an external drive. Is this just a Time Machine set up for your iMac?

I will be back later.

Dale

puckhead193

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 25, 2004
NY
I ned to get a few things straight here. You have your photos in iPhoto 6 on your iMac and you have Aperture on your MBP. You want to move your iPhoto library, which is a collection of folders, over to your MBP.

You mentioned an external drive. Is this just a Time Machine set up for your iMac?

I will be back later.

Dale

I have aperture 3 installed on both computers... I do have a time machine back up of my iMac (my main computer with all my pictures on it) and another HDD. What I thought was since Aperture 3 can't read my iphoto library, is if I could use the migration assistant to get my iphoto library transferred to my mbp. Then import the files into aperture 3 on my mbp then save the library to an external drive to then re-import the APerture 3 library I created on my mbp back to my imac.

(I want to keep my mbp pretty clean as I use this computer for work)

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
Maybe A3 just can't read iPhoto 6. It has a different file storage structure than the newer versions - folders instead of a Library package. Have you thought of upgrading iPhoto to 7 or 8 and seeing if you can move the Library up to the newer version and then over to A3 ?

Just troubleshooting as best I can.

Dale

puckhead193

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 25, 2004
NY
Maybe A3 just can't read iPhoto 6. It has a different file storage structure than the newer versions - folders instead of a Library package. Have you thought of upgrading iPhoto to 7 or 8 and seeing if you can move the Library up to the newer version and then over to A3 ?

Just troubleshooting as best I can.

Dale

I could do that but it would seem like a waste of money as I don't use imovie, garage band, etc. I really only use iphoto to manage my photos. For most of my editing i used photoshop, but wanted to give aperture a try so i won't have to have another program as I can do most of my edits in aperture. Also I got a DSLR for work and I thought I would be taking more pictures and it just seems easier to manage my personal photos and work photos in Aperture.

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
I never thought of that. I'm just used to using what comes on the computer as far as iPhoto goes. My computer is an '08 MBP, so the version of iPhoto I have uses a Library Package. But anyway, that seems to be the root of the problem. I looked at "How to Move iPhoto to A3" on the Apple site. Where you get a stack of seperate folders, Aperture wants a unified Library.

You probably have seen this, but here is the Apple link anyway.

http://www.apple.com/aperture/iphoto-to-aperture/how.html

Good luck. I'm stuck.

Dale

Grasher

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2009
If i used my iMac and my mbp and used the mirgration assistant, could I just select the iphoto library and nothing else? After I do that my photo's should be in iPhoto...I can then open aperture on my mbp and import the library. How could I import the files so they are on an external drive so I can then merge the aperture library that was created on my mbp back to my imac?

You should be able to selectively migrate from your iMac. From memory, I was able to select what I wanted to move from my iBook to my MacBook. My suggestion above should work (iPhoto 06 > iPhoto 09 > Aperture 3), as it worked for me, albeit on a longer timescale.

Second suggestion: have you tried using the Import menu on iPhoto 09 to import your iPhoto 06 library? Aperture 3 may not be able to read an old iPhoto menu, but perhaps iPhoto 09 can read older iPhoto structures.

Last suggestion: in iPhoto 06, select all of your images and go to file > export and export all of them to your external hard drive (be sure to select the highest image quality). Then import all of these into A3. The downside to this (I think) is that you'd lose any album structures or keywords but I'm not sure how much of an issue this is for you.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 25, 2004
NY
Thought I would update this thread as I finally imported my photos to Aperture 3.
Here's what I did, I copied the iphoto library icon to an external drive. Then I went on my mbp and dragged and dropped the file into my pictures folder. I opened up iphoto, iphoto asked me which library to open, I selected the new one copied over. It imported all of my photos. I then clicked out of iphoto and opened up Aperture 3 on my mbp. I imported my pictures from iphoto 09 to Aperture. Clicked out and made sure it was all saved etc. I then took the aperture 3 library icon and dragged into to my external drive. Went back on my imac and copied the aperture library on to my imac.. Opened aperture and all my photos where there. It was a simple, just a pain in the donkey...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.