Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 23, 2007
Hi guys,
I recently decided to split my Aperture Library according to years and after I export Project A as a new library successfully, I found out that Project A is still in the original Aperture library (Project A library exist).

So is it safe to delete Project A which is located in the original Aperture library and If I'm not mistaken, when you click empty trash in Aperture, what it does is send the files to OSX trash right? So is it safe to delete those files in the OSX trash? Cause I fear it might end up deleting the original pictures instead :confused:

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
If you use referenced masters, you will be asked whether or not you want to move the referenced masters into the system trash. In that case you obviously don't want to delete those, since both libraries will be referencing the same masters. :D

If you're letting Aperture manage your files, you can reassure yourself that the masters have been copied into the new library. Outside of Aperture, use the Finder option "show contents" on the new Aperture library. Poke around and you should find the master images in there. Once you're reassured, feel free to delete them from the original library.

Note that, in any case, Aperture has its own "Trash". So moving them into that trash doesn't delete anything - it's not until you empty Aperture's trash that the files are deleted.

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 23, 2007
Hmm, well I do let Aperture to manage all my photos, so how bout if I export the masters to an external disk kind of situation? What will happen in my situation as stated above then?

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
If you export the masters, then be sure you never delete them. Read all prompts carefully.

But given that you're not clear on how these options all work, I strongly suggest you stick with letting Aperture manage the masters.

Regardless of what you do - BACK EVERYTHING UP FIRST!! Update your vault, and back up the computer. That way if there's any problem - be it from our advice or your interpretation of it - you can recover from any surprises.

BTW when I delete photos from Aperture, I let them sit in Aperture's trash for several weeks (or even months) before permanently dumping them. That's another way to avoid surprises.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.