Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fridgeymonster3

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 28, 2008
Philadelphia
Hey everyone. So I am about to start the process of installing an SSD as my boot/apps drive in my '08 Mac Pro and I had an Aperture 3 question. Let me give you some quick background first. I store about 95% of my photos in the Mac OS X Picture folder but with my own file structure. Then I direct Aperture to those photos and tell Aperture to keep the files intheir original location (wherever they fall in my structure). Then I proceed to edit my raw images by tweaking WB, curves, applying brushes, etc. I also tag the location and faces. I have an aperture file structure that contains my projects too.

My questions is this, when I install OS X and apertureon my new SSD boot drive, and then I tell OS X to put my home folder on another drive, will directing Aperture to it's library (that I backed up and put back in Pictures) and the pictures again which are in a new location save all my edits, tags, locations, project names, faces, etc?? Or do I have to go through the damn process again. Just as a note....if you tell me I haveto do it all over again I'm goig to gouge my eyes out in frustration!! Help please!

cosmokanga2

macrumors 6502a
When you've moved all of you're files, go File>Locate Referenced Folders. It will match all the files up and settings. Just make sure you keep the Aperture Library folder. It contains all of the adjustment, rating instructions for the referenced images. You might have to point Aperture to that folder before locating the referenced images. Hold Option when you start up Aperture to locate it.

By the way, in Aperture you can import your files from your Pictures folder (i.e. stop referencing them and let Aperture handle it all) and it will maintain your folder structure.

fridgeymonster3

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 28, 2008
Philadelphia
By the way, in Aperture you can import your files from your Pictures folder (i.e. stop referencing them and let Aperture handle it all) and it will maintain your folder structure.

However if I do that doesn't Aperture make a copy of the file and store it in the the Aperture library therefore making it so I have duplicate files?

cosmokanga2

macrumors 6502a
However if I do that doesn't Aperture make a copy of the file and store it in the the Aperture library therefore making it so I have duplicate files?

Correct. You can then just delete the files from where they where imported and do all of your import, edit, export and backup from within Aperture. Regardless of what way you choose to have your library, it will use the same space on your HD. For me, it's just easier to let Aperture do all of the back end work. Just an option. Up to you.

hockey9999

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2010

Actually, when you consolidate the Master Files you are given the option to either move or copy the files to the Aperture Library. Moving them would not result in duplicates.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.